cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless N

Jarr
Grafter

Re: Wireless N

Ill have to look. Not that I would be happy taking it apart. Very disappointed in all this. The super fast broadband i was promised and I've been telling friends and family about will have to be changed to only if you have the right equipment.
Small print strikes again.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The right equipment like an Ethernet cable?  I imagine one of those was supplied.  You have superfast broadband, you just don't have a computer with wireless fast enough to cope with it.
I imagine a small USB wireless-N adaptor would be fine if your laptop is close to the router.  If you are further away you may need a bigger one. Hide it out of sight on the end of a USB extension cable if you don't like the aesthetics of it sticking straight out the side of your computer.     
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Jarr
So make do with 20mb when I can get 70mb?
Basically I can only get 70 if I buy a new laptop?

You could use an Ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the router when you have a large download to do which would then give you full speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

To be honest, nobody really needs Fibre speeds for a single computer (other than 'bragging rights'), it comes into its own when multiple devices are all connected and everyone can do what they want with no slow-down (kids gaming and streaming, wife on Facebook and me on the Plusnet forum while i-Player is on the TV with everything working perfectly).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: zzZzz
There is a possibility you can replace the internal 1397 wlan card with another one which supports wireless N.

Beware, it may not have the 3 aerials required for 'n'!
Geoff,
York.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Ok, you certainly don't want one of those little nano adapters. While they may be n compatible, they are too small to have a decent aerial configuration. you are better off with the aerials in your laptop even if you are limited to g.
here's what you CAN do. XP isn't set up very well for fast connections. I'm about to sort that out on my own XP box, so will post back when I've figured it out. also, try googling for 1377 wireless, as it seems others have had wireless speed issues with that card on choo Dell machines, and have been able to sort it out by changing drivers, see e.v. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/poor-wireless-signal-dell-inspir...
Other than that, you'll need to either use a wired connection, change the wireless card, or use a proper USB n adapter, which will stick out!
Good luck!