cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Help/Suggestions

nickmellon

Wireless Help/Suggestions

Hi all!
I've just signed up to plusnets FTTC service and am getting a rather lovely 37mbps. I've elected to pay for the addon that avoids all traffic shaping. I have 2 problems that I think would be resolved using a better router.
The first is that speed tests show 35-56mbps via ethernet and only 3-5mbps via wireless. The second is that the range of the router (Netgear N150) seems rather limited.
I tried some basic troubleshooting for these and get the same results on either of the 2 laptops in the house (1 is xp the other vista) and the HTC Desire. I've looked at the channels other networks are broadcasting on and changed mine accordingly.
Is a router likely to fix these issues? If so I might as well buy a decent router and upgrade the wireless cards in the laptops, can anyone recommend some dual band routers/cards combos?
Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wireless Help/Suggestions

Basic question - are your laptops wireless g or wireless n
nickmellon

they are my girlfriends, so I can't be certain, but I'd wager they be G.
Nothing a replacement card/USB adaptor couldnt fix though.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Wireless g will be part of the problem as will the signal degradation and encryption.
Have you tried with the laptop right next to the router
nickmellon

I have, tried all 3 devices within about 3 or 4 feet of the router. They connect fine, and browse fine, but only get 3-5mbps.
I'm thinking a dual band n router, a couple of new wireless cards and I'll be set. The speed isnt really a problem on the Desire, and my own computer is connected via Cat 6, so speed really isn't an issue there.
As soon as my 10 day period is up I'll be moving the router to a slightly more central position which may help the range issue, but won't really affect the speed any.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I know this is tantamount to heresy but do you actually need 35 Mbps on the laptops?  If you want to download a large file you can do it on the computer with the Cat6 connection, otherwise isn't  streaming HD Video the fastest thing you might want to do?  According to the BBC you only need 3.5 MBps to stream HD video.  An old HP laptop won't have the screen resolution or the audio quality to benefit from HD even if the graphics processor could cope.  Vista might do better but even so.  I only ask to stop you rushing out and buying more equipment that might not give you any real practical benefit.
nickmellon

Need? No. Want? Yes
I got what you're saying, and I appreciate your intentions, but its more about convience. We often download movies and tv shows via sky player. I have a few online games, differnt ones on each laptop, that need patching.
I also like big numbers on my speed test 😛
I got 12mbps last night, that'd do nicely tbh