Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Update help

Moggy
Grafter

Windows Update help

Anyone help with this?
This auto-update from Windows downloads and installs each time I log on (Daily). Been doing this since Oct last year. I've Google'd it and searched through the Windows info site but can't find anyone else with same problem. Widows says it is updated monthly!
Decided I should do something now as it's bugging me.
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2008 (KB890830)  Undecided
Thanks in advance,
Moggy
10 REPLIES 10
LAdrain
Dabbler

Re: Windows Update help

You can look in Control Panel/Windows Update/View Update Log and see more info by double clicking on the failure.
puddy
Grafter

Most of Microsoft patches are released on Wednesday but if a patch is deemed important they can be released daily
puddy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Just mark it as not wanted. A new version of it is released most months anyway.
Are other/later updates going in OK?
Moggy
Grafter

LAdrain, Puddy, HPsauce
Thanks for that, but it does not fail to install, it just keeps installing!!!!!!! The Status shows 'Successful'. I would think I have about 100 'Successfuls'. All other updates are OK.
I've got Vista SP1, and maybe it's something to do with Nortons, just don't know. I was hoping someone else had the same thing and found a way around it.
Anyway, thanks again.
Moggy,
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Run Windows/Microsoft Update manually, choose Custom and then mark it as not wanted, assuming it shows up!
Moggy
Grafter

Nope, That don't work. It just installs, runs in the background, then shows up as a new update. I tried turning Nortons off, and Spybot, but to no avail. I've run this 9 times tonight now and still that pesky update returns. As I have said before all other updates load OK.
Oh for Windows 3.1............................ just joking  Smiley
Mark
Grafter

@ puddy
It's actually Tuesday and the second Tuesday of the month. Also known as "Patch Tuesday" but whats a few hours between friends Wink
Unfortunately I cant help with your problem Moggy. Sounds well random.

Moggy
Grafter

Bit like Groundhog Day........
J_i_m
Grafter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/30531989/kb890830-malicious-softwa.aspx
Apparently, downloading and installing the update manually should fix the problem.
Moggy
Grafter

Thanks for the link JIM,
tried it and just for a minute all looked good, then it all began to loop again again again again again again