cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 misbehaves with router?

noon

Windows 8.1 misbehaves with router?

Hi
I might be completely wrong, but I'm wondering if a Windows 8.1 laptop is causing me problems with my PlusNet Thomson router.  The router is a TG585 v8, running firmware 8.2.7.8. 
Our network (Wifi and wired) and broadband have been working great for weeks.  We have Window 7 machines and smartphones (and a couple of NAS drives).  Then my daughter comes home from college, with her Windows 8.1 laptop, and suddenly we've had to do multiple reboots of the router this weekend to get the Wifi working and to reconnect to the internet.  Anyone shed any light?
Thanks in advance
Nick
3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows 8.1 misbehaves with router?

The 585v8 had a long history of wireless problems, some of which were never really fixed.
I don't think it depends on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, rather it depends on the manufacturer of the wireless card in the laptop. Anyway, some of the workarounds are given here:
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/fixing-wireless-compatibility-problems-with-the-thomson-5...
noon

Thanks for the steer.  I'll take a look.
Are there better routers PlusNet can supply?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there.
The router we supply at the moment is a Technicolor TG582n.
If you call our customer service team we can get one ordered.
On the other hand the link below might help you with this too
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/fixing-wireless-compatibility-problems-with-the-thomson-5...
If you have any further issues please let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team