cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7, wifi and Netgear dg834g router

sackxghirl

Windows 7, wifi and Netgear dg834g router

I've been on a Plusnet pro connection now for 2 months.
I have a Samsung n110 netbook with Windows 7 which is currently hardwired to my router. My netbook has wifi capabilities but I'm unable to get wifi to work with my router - it's one of those Netgear dg834g. Silver with a black aerial.
I have the same problem with my boyfriend's Playstation 3 so we've ended up hardwiring that too
can anyone help me out because I'm driving myself potty trying to get it work.
18 REPLIES 18
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Windows 7, wifi and Netgear dg834g router

Have you got wireless enabled on the router?  Grin
If you run W7 wireless networking on a PC, it should show nearby access points (routers) - does it show any?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

sackxghirl

yep I have. It says connection was unsuccessful and that there is limited access but the router is about 10-15cms away from my netbook. I unplug my cat5 cable and try and load a chrome window and go to google but it doesnt load at all and says im not connected to the net
I have the latest firmware for my router installed
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Connection unsuccessful with limited access usually means you have entered the wrong wireless password/key.  Your wireless password isn't the same as any other password you use, unless you made it so.
By default you can access the Netgear router settings by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your web browser and using the username admin and the password password in the login box.  Then look at Wireless Security to find out what your password is and change it if you like. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

also you need to ensure that the router and the laptop are using the same security (WPA as a minimum)
Danplusnet
Grafter

If none of the above recommendations work then try the following.
Make sure that you don't have wireless access control switched on which limits wireless connectivity to specified mac addresses. I think the DG834 has that functionality in a submenu of the wireless menu. You can turn this back on once you have allocated connections to all your machines.
If you have recently put the new firmware on or moved the router over from another network then do a hard reset to put everything back to standard. Make sure you write down all your connection settings beforehand because you won't have any internet until you re-configure the router. You will also need to configure the wireless settings menu including adding security and wireless password as mentioned in the other posts.
sackxghirl

Quote from: ReedRichards
Connection unsuccessful with limited access usually means you have entered the wrong wireless password/key.  Your wireless password isn't the same as any other password you use, unless you made it so.
By default you can access the Netgear router settings by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your web browser and using the username admin and the password password in the login box.  Then look at Wireless Security to find out what your password is and change it if you like. 

You just told me stuff I already know. My wep key was set and that was what I used.
Danplusnet - I tried everything and I still can't get it to work. Now my connection doesnt even show in the connection list.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: sackxghirl
I tried everything and I still can't get it to work.

I saw a similar problem the other day, but with a TalkTalk (Huawei?) router.
It was a fairly new Packard Bell desktop PC and the internal wireless card just would NOT connect fully to the router, local access but no internet.
Yet a plug-in USB device had no problems.
I went over absolutely everything, even removed and reinstalled the card, and could find no discrepancies or errors in the configuration.
It was using WPA-2 security and I concluded (*maybe erroneously) that there was an issue with the driver for the onboard network device - can't recall what it was now though.
Just a final point, Windows does tend to remember incorrect wireless settings and not update them totally. It's best to remove the network and then disable the adapter and start all over again to make sure the settings are "clean".
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Windows 7 can be a pain with wireless. I've found if you go to control panel/internet and sharing centre/manage wireless networks and remove it, then add the router manually it usually picks it up.
Jojo Smiley
Danplusnet
Grafter

Sorry if anyone suggests something you already know. Peoples understanding of routers is far and wide and quite often the simplest thing is overlooked, stating the obvious may often be the cure.
I'm no techie but I do have two Negears that I use. Has wireless ever worked?
Some other ideas (sorry again if you have already tried these).
Is the wireless symbol showing on the front of the router to ensure it's broadcasting (solid green). If your laptop can't see your wireless network can the PS3 see it?
On the 'Wireless Settings' tab in the router, under 'Wireless Access Point' ensure both of the following are ticked 'Enable Wireless Access Point' & 'Allow Broadcast of name (SSID)'
Preferably rename your network (SSID) to something other than Netgear so you know you are looking at your own connection and not a neighbours. Try a different channel number (lower) and not higher than 11. Ensure both G&B mode is selected. Powerdown the router and restart.
Move away from WEP security and choose WPA-PSK and grant yourself a WPA password. Apply the changes. Ensure router wireless symbol is still showing can either laptop / ps3 see router now?
I can connect both my windows 7 laptop and ps3 to my netgears using WPA security although I prefer hard wired for the PS3.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: sackxghirl
You just told me stuff I already know. My wep key was set and that was what I used.

Okay, but no need to be curt; your original post didn't make that clear.  If both your computer and a PS3 fail to connect the most likely explanations are:
1)  The wireless on your router isn't working properly, or
2)  Your WEP key isn't what you think it is.
sackxghirl

Quote from: Danplusnet
Sorry if anyone suggests something you already know. Peoples understanding of routers is far and wide and quite often the simplest thing is overlooked, stating the obvious may often be the cure.
I'm no techie but I do have two Negears that I use. Has wireless ever worked?
Some other ideas (sorry again if you have already tried these).
Is the wireless symbol showing on the front of the router to ensure it's broadcasting (solid green). If your laptop can't see your wireless network can the PS3 see it?
On the 'Wireless Settings' tab in the router, under 'Wireless Access Point' ensure both of the following are ticked 'Enable Wireless Access Point' & 'Allow Broadcast of name (SSID)'
Preferably rename your network (SSID) to something other than Netgear so you know you are looking at your own connection and not a neighbours. Try a different channel number (lower) and not higher than 11. Ensure both G&B mode is selected. Powerdown the router and restart.
Move away from WEP security and choose WPA-PSK and grant yourself a WPA password. Apply the changes. Ensure router wireless symbol is still showing can either laptop / ps3 see router now?
I can connect both my windows 7 laptop and ps3 to my netgears using WPA security although I prefer hard wired for the PS3.

I've just reset the router using a pin in the little hole. I logged into the router admin area, renamed the router to something else, changed the wep key, set the channel to 6 and tried to log on and wahey it works! I can't actually believe it! Thanks for the help
I would use wpa but there's 2 in the list on the wireless page and I don't know which one to use.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It depends what your computer and PS3 (if that is going to be wireless) support
I assume you see something like this picture. As a minimum use WPA-PSK but if your other pieces of kit support it WPA2-PSK is better
You should also set up a wireless access list and turn access control on so that only your computers etc. can access it
Danplusnet
Grafter

Fantastic glad it worked.
As Oldjim mentioned use the WPA-PSK option rather than the alternative which I think is WPA.802 on the DG834G. I don't think it has WPA2-PSK either. Dont forget to change the router password to something other than password too.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That screenshot is from a DG834G v4 broadcom chip