cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 WiFi Issues

FIXED
Rebecca

Windows 10 WiFi Issues

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me as I've wasted so many hours trying to sort out this problem.

Basically my WIFI worked fine with my Windows 7 laptop, however after I did a clean install of Windows 10, it keeps dropping the WIFI. The internet works fine on the laptop if I plug it in via Ethernet cable and the WIFI also works on all my other devices in the house. The error message I keep getting is attached to this post which hopefully you'll be able to view. Sometimes this messages come up after only a few seconds of trying to open a webpage. Sometimes it will load webpages but struggle to load the pictures. Sometimes I just can't connect at all. 

I called Plusnet who basically said they can't help me and I mentioned my laptop works fine on my neighbours Sky WIFI, and the response I got was to basically change internet providers. Is that going to be my best option? Obviously it's hassle do to that but I can't keep spending hours trawling through forums and trying various different things which end up not working. 

27 REPLIES 27
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Windows 10 WiFi Issues

Windows 10 can sometimes use older Windows 7 device drivers, so it might be worthwhile finding the Windows 7 WiFi driver for your laptop from the manufacturer's website and then manually installing that. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

...also I had a LOT of problems with my wife's new Win 10 tablet losing wifi connection after going into sleep mode. Solved it by changing the router to a fixed wireless channel rather than leaving set on "auto". Has worked flawlessly ever since -no idea why but after all the hassles I went thru with router firmwares and Win 10 drivers I'm not complaining!!

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Fix

You could try this to see if it helps by changing the computer's DNS settings to Google's as in screenshot attached.

1. First right click on the wireless icon in bottom right of your screen.
  2. Select Open Network & Sharing Centre
  3. Click on connections hypalink in middle of page that pops up
  4. Select the greyed out entry; 3rd one down
  5. Change your DNS settings to those shown, assuming you are currently set to automatically etc
  6. Click OK.
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Would this article be of any help?

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Didn't I read somewhere, just yesterday, that the latest W10 update killed a lot of peoples wifi and that they are apparently looking for an urgent fix.

mooblie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I read that the recent "v.1607" (i.e. 2016-July) Windows 10 update (known as "Anniversary" update) killed lots of webcams, but I didn't hear of WiFi problems?Huh

BTW: To determine your detailed version information for Windows 10, just hit the Windows key (to left of space bar) and type WINVER (return).

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I attempted to update a laptop for someone and Windows Update complained about media DRM issues at which point the owner agreed it would be best not to proceed.

Personally I've seen no wifi or webcam issues and I use both.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@mooblie wrote:

killed lots of webcams, but I didn't hear of WiFi problems?Huh

Yes you're absolutely right. Dodgy memory chip.Smiley

Rebecca

Thank you so much Gel, this fixed the problem!!

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Given that the OP has a laptop, with the proposed fix I just wondered what happens if they connect to another network where the router uses an alternative specified DNS server? Will the laptop's preferred DNS settings over-ride those of the router?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@NorthPole Yes. The setting overrides the DNS for all connections made through that adapter.

Gel
Aspiring Champion

colmcam
Dabbler

Gel: Thank you very much indeed! I've spent hours trying various fixes, yours worked.