cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 VPN Server - Connection Issues

nsherin

Windows 10 VPN Server - Connection Issues

Hi,

I'vet set up the built-in Windows 10 VPN serve on my PC at home, but am struggling to connect to it from another Windows 10 PC outside of my home network. When I attempt to connect, it seems to be stuck on connecting to 80.229.156.28 (I have a static IP address assigned to my account).

I've also set up port forwarding using my router - a TPLink TD-W9970 for both TCP and UDP for ports 1723 to my PC's IP address (I've assigned it a static IP on my LAN).

Any help would be much appreciated in case I am missing something obvious.

I will try and borrow my other half's laptop and tether it to my phone tonight to see if it works from there, in the event of it being the network I am trying to connect from.

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Windows 10 VPN Server - Connection Issues

@nsherin Login to the Member Centre and check that the Broadband Firewall is set to OFF.

You can get to it from the 'Broadband' Icon and then 'Broadband Firewall' or via this url https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall (when you're logged in). If it's not OFF and you have to change it, then you will need to disconnect & reconnect the Internet connection (at least the PPPoE session) for it to take effect

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nsherin

Hi MisterW,

The firewall is off already unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though. Much appreciatsd.
nsherin

And I have just got round to testing it from my other half's laptop using my phone as a hotspot and no joy.

The other option is to dig out a Raspberry Pi out the drawer and install PiVPN - basically an easy to set up bundle of OpenVPN. This worked very well at my last place with Virgin Media.

Does anyone forsee any issues with OpenVPN in a Plusnet IP address range of 80.229.156.xxx? Obviously I'd need to set up the port forward for port 1194 on my router to my PC.

Many thanks again!
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,

piVPN performs very well for me but I do have the benefit of a fast fibre connection (data rate of 79904/19999), I use OpenVPN app on my phone, tablet and win 10 laptop for connections. iPlayer/Netflix works well when abroad in Europe

I have a static IP address 80.229.243.xxx I do use a different UDP port to the default of 1194 to one of my choosing and setup the port forward rule accordingly on my Hub One. I use Filezilla to copy the .opvn files which are saved to my google drive for easy portability.

I like the Raspberry pi as it is uses less power than a PC and piVPN is free to use.

Dan.