cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 DNS problems

bluefishcs

Windows 10 DNS problems

I work as a self employed computer engineer, I have now been to 4 different households in the last couple of weeks that have had problems accessing websites since upgrading to Windows 10.  Websites load intermittently, sometimes they loads other times they take ages and sometimes they result in page not displayed.

They all have a PlusNet router and all used the routers DNS, if they have other devices that are not Windows 10 such as iPads and phones there are no problems at all.

This appears to be a problem with the way the router handles DNS requests because if you change the DNS on the Windows 10 computer to OpenDNS it instantly fixes the problem.  Switching it back to use the routers DNS again and the problems reappear. It's not the machines that have the problem because if you take them and attach them to a non-plusnet network they behave normally.

Looking on the Internet other users are having the same problem, so PlusNet are you planning to roll out a fix for this?

Changing the DNS on the router is not an option as it's locked so it's very inconvenient having to change every Windows 10 device manually and something users shouldn't have to be doing!

18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Windows 10 DNS problems

Hi there,

We're aware of this issue and investigating it at the moment.

If you're able to get any of the affected customers usernames to us we can add them as examples to the problem investigation and also push updates to the routers of those affected which should resolve it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Which Plusnet router? If it's the Technicolor 582n, I assume it's the 198.18.1.x address problems issue.

rachpaton

We are having problems since changing to Windows 10, what a pain it has been with websites not loading properly and very slow service at times. Please do something, this has all been reported on lengthy phone calls.

bluefishcs

Adam,

Can I ask some questions:

1. Why if you already know about the problem are customers calling and being held on lengthy calls with no resolution, my customers called me as a last resort because they were getting no help from your support.

2. If there is a fix that can be pushed to users routers, why don't you just push it to all of them and fix the problem for everyone?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Why don't PN open up their routers allowing DNS modifying?
Is locking down common practice for all isp's own routers?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Actually, the Technicolor routers allow extensive customisation via telnet, but their web interface is far more limited. Assuming it is the Technicolor 582n we're talking about here.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Agreed... great little router the 582n, but I also had many problems with dns.

bluefishcs

Most average customers don't even know what telnet is, point is they wouldn't have to modify the DNS in the first place if it worked properly.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

On the subject of windows10, I'm finding this function could cause problems for the average router...

Capture.png

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Most average customers won't be able to accurately determine their problem was a DNS problem, so even the ability to easily change DNS settings would only be changed as a random guess to try and fix something. Also Plusnet Safeguard relies on using the ISP-provided DNS servers.

The Hub Zero (2704N) does have DNS settings in the web interface, but then it doesn't have the Technicolor-specific DNS spoofing bug either. Plusnet could have sent a new router if that's the simplest way for them to fix the problem.

bluefishcs

Which is why customers rely on PlusNet support to help them determine the fault, the ones I visited had long calls with support and didn't get anywhere despite telling them it started happening after the Windows 10 upgrade and describing the symptoms accurately.

If PlusNet can push a fix to problem routers why don't they fix them all,

ejs
Aspiring Hero

You don't actually expect Plusnet support to know about known issues with the devices they supplied do you? To someone who didn't know about the issue, it probably sounded like the problem is related to the Windows 10 upgrade, so it's a problem with their computer, which is not something Plusnet provide support on.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@rachpaton, I've pushed a config update out to your router that should hopefully have resolved the problem for you.

@bluefishcs, as Chris has mentioned, if you are able to message me the usernames of those affected then I can do the same.

bluefishcs wrote:

1. Why if you already know about the problem are customers calling and being held on lengthy calls with no resolution, my customers called me as a last resort because they were getting no help from your support.

Our technical helpdesk has been briefed about the problem so should be able to offer support.

2. If there is a fix that can be pushed to users routers, why don't you just push it to all of them and fix the problem for everyone?

Whilst it's an option, a mass update of this volume is something that requires considerable thought/preparation. It's not without risk and would need to go through our formal change process. At the moment, the volume of reports we're receiving doesn't warrant the effort, but that position may change over time.

If you have access to an affected unit, you can disable the feature that's causing this problem by telnetting to the router and issuing the following command:

: dns server config WANDownSpoofing=disabled
: saveall  

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LarkAscending
Dabbler

Hi Adam

I have been in touch with PlusNet over 3 weeks ago and have had this problem for over 6-8 weeks ago. It is quite intolerable. My partner cannot do any transactions on Ebay or Argos even. My laptop works perfectly well with other routers and ISPs but not the service I pay for. If I do not receive a fix within the next 7 days then I will not pay my monthy charge, I am not a difficult customer but have lodged two complaints about this and nothing has been done. Very poor service - and service was what I joined PlusNet for. Your online chat service is not available at present so i cannot take this up with csas. Yours, rather [-Censored-]ed off.