cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window XP reinstall cannot connect to network.

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Window XP reinstall cannot connect to network.

After an Unmountable_Boot_Volume problem stuck in a loop, I had to reinstall the operating system which was on a disk sent with my Samsung NC10 running window XP.
Now I have to reinstall everything, but I can't find a way to connect to the router like the Plusnet information states, I don't have the wireless connection icon at the bottom of the screen, (currently I don't have many icons anywhere), which would allow me to see the list of networks available.
I don't know where to go to be able to input the name and key to be able to connect to the internet.
How do I do this?
13 REPLIES 13
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Window XP reinstall cannot connect to network.

You probably need to reinstall the network card drivers.
Go into your device manager and look to see if there are any devices with a yellow exclamation mark next to them.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Yea there are :
Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus
BCM92045NMD
Ethernet controller
Ethernet controller
SM Bus controller
Video controller
Video controller (VGA compatible).
So, how do I go from there? I have to get to the internet to reinstall anything?
vicky1959
Grafter

other half said if he remembers  back to old XP you had to enable icon to show in menu bar
also go to internet options and  enable  : heres basic copied off net  easier than typing :
Here's How:
    Open the Windows Control Panel. Control Panel can be found on the Windows Start Menu.
    Click the "Network and Internet" or "Network Connections" option in Control Panel. (If necessary, first open the "Network and Internet Connections" icon in Control panel, then choose "Network Connections" from within that screen.) The Control Panel will refresh to show new options.
    In Windows 7 or Windows Vista, click the "View network status and tasks" option from the Network and Internet window to open the Network and Sharing Center.
    In Windows XP, the Network Connections window lists all Dial-up and LAN / High-Speed Internet connections installed. In the list of LAN / High Speed Internet connections, select the icon that corresponds to the network you wish to enable or disable.
    In Windows 7 or Windows Vista, click the "Connect or disconnect" option shown to pop up a window displaying the current connection status. Use this window to first Disconnect from the active network and then immediately reconnect.
    In Windows XP, right-click on the selected network connection. A pop-up menu appears. If the connection is currently enabled, the first option in this menu will be "Disable." Otherwise, the first menu option will be "Enable." Select this first menu option to alternately disable or enable the connection.
    Close the Network Connections / Control Panel window when finished.
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: Lolaan
So, how do I go from there? I have to get to the internet to reinstall anything?

You'll need to get onto a machine that is connected to the internet and at the least download the drivers for your WLAN card. Once this is enabled, you should be able to get internet connectivity on your XP laptop and download the rest of the drivers from the manufacturers site.
Often it is easier to buy a cheap wireless dongle that comes with a CD, plug that into a USB port and use the CD that came with it (if it is Windows XP compatible) to temporarily get internet access then download the drivers directly onto the laptop you are reinstalling.
On the plus side, it appears that you have USB connectivity so you could download the wireless driver to a USB memory stick and work from there.
Lolaan
Rising Star

vicky, when I go into my network connections there is nothing there.
Would this product  DIGIFLEX Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle 150Mbps For Windows 7 / XP / Vista will do the trick? Is that what I need?
picbits
Rising Star

I've not had any experience of that actual adapter but it should do the job. Always handy to have a spare wireless network adapter anyway and at £6 from Amazon won't break the bank Smiley
If you have a spare memory stick and a friend nearby with an internet connection, just download the driver on their machine and copy it onto your own machine and run the install program - only takes a couple of minutes to do.
If it doesn't have a CD or DVD drive, you might have to copy the drivers onto a USB memory stick anyway.
The way I would sort this out would be to go to the Samsung site and download the wireless driver onto a USB stick - this will give the netbook internet conectivity.
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=UNI_UK&CttFileID=2036699...
Then download this application (swupdate) which will sort the rest of the drivers out for you :
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-NC10-KA02UK-downloads
NedLudd
Grafter

The NC10 has an Ethernet port? Connect that direct to your router and run Windows update.
That will bring down all the necessary!
Geoff,
York.
Lolaan
Rising Star

I have bought this wireless adapter on amazon (DIGIFLEX Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle 300Mbps For Windows 7 / 8 / XP / Vista) which seems to be the bigger brother of the one I thought of buying, only because I should receive it tomorrow (well, it's a big 'should', as I didn't even know they were delivering sundays, or only with the evening delivery option). I thought, as you said, that it would be handy to have a spare wireless adaptor around, just in case.
I suppose, once I am connected to the internet with the dongle, I will be able to download the driver from the Samsung website straight onto the netbook.
Will the WinXP  updates still be available to download after april 8?
Later this year I will buy another netbook or laptop with window7, which window7 version should I consider?
I wanted the window7 professional because of the window XP mode, but now will I be able to download and install window XP mode after april 8? I don't intend to buy the new laptop before the end of may anyway (or later). If not, which version of window7 is best?
picbits
Rising Star

@Neddludd - there are two exclamation marks against the two network adapters - I suspect neither the onboard LAN or Wireless have had the drivers installed and been enabled.
Also Win XP didn't tend to download drivers until at least an older driver had been installed for the offending piece of hardware.
NedLudd
Grafter

Well, I would delete one and see if that clears the other!
Geoff,
York.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

To get around this (fairly common) problem I have a selection of USB networking devices with compatible drivers.
The one I prefer to use is a USB to LAN adapter as I then wire the PC to the router without needing to mess with wireless settings.
Usually you install the driver first (from CD or USB as available) then plug it in and away you go.  Grin
Usually Windows Update will find some or all of the missing drivers, but you may also need to go to the manufacturers web site to find some - quite common with Dell  Sad .
Lolaan
Rising Star

Am I thick or what?  Crazy
Someone reminded me of the recovery partition that came installed on the Samsung netbook.
I have run it with the complete install option, it took 2 mins to install the missing drivers (as I had done most of the installation with the CD), and I am back on the internet.
Now I have to reinstall all the updates (133 of them) and programmes, but I must say at start up it loads in no time.
I think that little netbook will carry on living a little while longer....
I might have bought the dongle for nothing, though it's always handy to have one around. It might even be faster than the wireless on the netbook, as some reviewers have said.....
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Lolaan
Am I thick or what?  Crazy
Someone reminded me of the recovery partition that came installed on the Samsung netbook.
There may also be an option to create recovery media (on CD, DVD or USB) which can be invaluable if the hard disk needs replacing.
For an older system like this you may not think it's worthwhile, but most people don't even bother with a new system when it most definitely is.
Manufacturers "ought" to include separate recovery media with the device when sold, but many don't bother, usually as a cost-saving measure.  Lips_are_sealed