Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7Ultim (OS software) VPN failing to connect, having worked fine for months

BikerPa
Grafter

Win7Ultim (OS software) VPN failing to connect, having worked fine for months

Hi Guys & Gals,
Having used one of 2 Win 7 pc's at home to connect to the work remote off-site server with Windows 7 OS software VPN (although infrequently, last time over a month ago) last night/today it just won't?Huh
I know the managed server is fine( checked with IT people, & no settings their end changed) & I know I can VPN connect to it from another site so the PlusNet BB 'IS' the ONLY difference (Login info correct etc), as all the hardware is the same at both 'off'' sites (BTOR fibre modem and Draytek 2850N router with same firmware). Regardless of which it worked fine a month or so ago anyway, & nothing has changed at home.
Having searched Plusnet Community forum & Google I have used;
A different PC (both of which connected over a month ago).
Logged into my BB acct and checked the Firewall which was set to OFF anyway, so tried LOW and a reconnect to no avail, so set back to OFF & disconnected/reconnected.
Tried direct PC PPPoE connection to BTOR modem which still had same result, it just won't connect the Win 7 software VPN.
So I'm at a loss, so would appreciate any advice. As I again have not changed or updated any software/firmware or hardware.
To add to my confusion the Draytek's (Work/Home) have quite happily got a direct VPN tunnel for the IP phone sytem running & connected fine to the IP phone I have at home??!
Has something changed at Plusnet (having been with them for 8 months now)? What Am I missing?Huh
Regards
Mike
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Win7Ultim (OS software) VPN failing to connect, having worked fine for months

Interesting Huh There's another thread here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130133.0.html where one VPN client works and the other doesn't.
What VPN software are you using on Windows ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Win7Ultim (OS software) VPN failing to connect, having worked fine for months

Just to clarify, have you used the same computer successfully at the other site (since you have been unable to connect from home)? 
BikerPa
Grafter

"Just to clarify, have you used the same computer successfully at the other site (since you have been unable to connect from home)? "
This isn't easily possible as the other site uses the Draytek router to provide the VPN connection on a direct fixed IP tunnel through the remote servers firewall, to allow the whole network at work to access the remote server & application. So it's done by the Draytek firmware. Disconnecting this as it's working is counter intuitive if you read on.
The other interesting thing is that the IT support desk for the server/application we use are not on the server site and they can dial in with the same Win 7 OS native VPN connection to our server over their BB. Their take on it is it's a Plusnet/BTOR firewall/port issue and can't really help further. As our main site (which is a Dental practice is working fine) and they can connect fine, it's only my home office on Plusnet fibre that has suddenly stopped doing so.
"What VPN software are you using on Windows ?"
Native Windows 7 Ultimate remote VPN network connector in the OS which is what our IT co. support/recommend. Can't use anything else TBH.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Native Windows 7 Ultimate remote VPN network connector in the OS
Do you know if the connection uses PPTP or IPSec ?
I'm trying to see if there is any commonality with the other thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BikerPa
Grafter

I have spoken to our IT guys & they have confirmed it's an IPSec connection (although Win7 VPN connection type is set to AUTO as it has always been)
dick:quote
BikerPa
Grafter

So having looked at the other thread it could be the same issue we both face with an IPSec connection.
Although mine has worked fine on FTTC for at least 7months!
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
Having seen a couple of mentioned of the same problem pop up in a few threads I think it will make sense to have a check internally and see if anything on the network has changed that would possibly cause this type of issue with VPN.
I'll report back if I see anything.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I have spoken to our IT guys & they have confirmed it's an IPSec connection
Thanks for confirming that.
@Adam, Thanks for picking this up. It looks very strange as from the other thread some IPSec seems to work fine.
Lets see what you can find...

BikerPa
Grafter

Also just to confirm my IP phone VPN that is working fine from home using the Draytek's firmaware on Plusnet FTTC is PPTP