cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will we all get faster speeds?

Jessica
Grafter

Will we all get faster speeds?

I’ve just been told that Plusnet will soon be supplying a faster service.  Will this apply to all Plusnet customers or just the ones in cities?
18 REPLIES 18
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Will we all get faster speeds?

It will apply to the people who are connected to BT equipment that is upgraded to ADSL2 or 21CN technology. As usual, it will be the more populated areas which will be upgraded first, with us country bumpkins following along in the wake. The exchange in the village near me was the last in the UK to go digital, so I'm guessing that the new fangled stuff will be arriving in these parts in the 22nd century.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and if you live out in the sticks with a long line (sync speed less than about 2500kbps) you won't see much, if any, improvement
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks Guys,
It’s just as I thought.  As soon as I was told about the new ‘improved’ service, I realised straight away it didn’t mean me.  I just don’t live out in the sticks; I live out in the woods!!  I’ll probably be upgraded sometime in the 22nd century…
James
Grafter

Well, not quite that long!  All the upgrades should have completed by 2011/2012.
There isn't a date for your exchange yet, but hopefully we'll get some more updates from BT before too long.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

ADSL2+ isn't all it's cracked up to be, at least not for many people.
Here's a few key points from my experience; I've been on it for about 6 months:
1. It's much much much more sensitive to dodgy domestic phone wiring. Sorting this out is vital.
2. It's more sensitive to interference, e.g. from street lights, so there's more variation (often unexplained/untraceable)
3. If you're close to the exchange speed increases are good (e.g. I went from 8meg to 21meg download)
4. For many people further from exchanges there will be little or no improvement at all in download speeds.
5. Upload speeds are a lot better (if that's helpful to you) for almost everyone - typically 1.3meg and optionally up to 2.5.
6. What router you use seems to make a significant difference, but that may be down to compatibility with the exchange kit.
I've seen many happy satisfied customers (me included) and many others very unsatisfied if not just plain angry.
Managing expectations is going to be vital as this rolls out.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Oldjim
and if you live out in the sticks with a long line (sync speed less than about 2500kbps) you won't see much, if any, improvement

I represent that comment!  Cheesy Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mal08
Rising Star

We really need optical fibre rolled out to every premises. Relying on the POTS wiring is just asking for problems -
in my view the Government should hold a competitive competition for the license to lay a brand new network - like they did for 3G cellular phones.
And there should be have strong legal protections that stops the winner taking undue advantage - especially if a company like BT won !!!.
geewizz
Grafter

If we all buy those optical fibre christmas trees then we could join up the fibres and run them through to our neighbours houses and make our own network without relying on a big corporation.
I think I've solved everything now so I'll go and celebrate with a cup of tea. Let me know when the network is all connected and I'll send everyone an e-greeting card.
Not applicable

Do fibre optic Christmas trees use singlemode or multimode fibre?
Hopefully its singlemode fibre as it has a larger range than multimode fibre.
I'll ask the sales staff when they put the display up at our local retailer - its nearly halloween, so I guess the Christmas stuff is due in any time now?
paulby
Grafter

its nearly halloween, so I guess the Christmas stuff is due in any time now?

They've been selling Christmas stuff in our local Sainsbury's for the past 2 weeks Smiley
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: HPsauce
ADSL2+ isn't all it's cracked up to be, at least not for many people.

All the points you made are correct about getting the highest speeds possible.
ADSL2+ has something called Seamless Rate Adaption, for those on long lines, probably +50dB attenuation on the downstream link, this could lead to better speeds some of the time, and or consistent speeds for longer.
If we are lucky, BT will set the noise margin target to 6dB or 9dB, the modems then change speed based on the noise present on the line without actually dropping the connection, hence why it is called seamless.
SW.
corrected silly typos - Oct 1st.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

There's going to be a 3dB option too Cheesy
HPsauce
Pro

3dB works well for me so I'm using that with my ADSL2+ service. Cheesy
I get the occasional resync but I'm not subject to the BT ADSL Max profile logic so it's not an issue apart from the interruptions.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
Do fibre optic Christmas trees use singlemode or multimode fibre?
Hopefully its singlemode fibre as it has a larger range than multimode fibre.
I'll ask the sales staff when they put the display up at our local retailer - its nearly halloween, so I guess the Christmas stuff is due in any time now?

If I remember looking at a couple of optic trees I have I'd guess it'd be single mode James as there is only a single beam (that is up from the coloured disk/bulb arrangement in the base)
Unless of course that question was meant as a gag (sense of humour has suffered a Blue Screen of Death lately due to workload/tiredness)