cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will turning off interleaving speed up my broadband? I'm not a gamer

adamm

Will turning off interleaving speed up my broadband? I'm not a gamer

Will turning off interleaving speed up my broadband? I'm not a gamer and don't know what 'ping' is, I just have very slow broadband and would like some easy tips on how to make it faster. It's frustrating as I can't stream iPlayer or anything on my computer and when there are two of us at home we can barely even get any browsing done. Very frustrating and nowhere near the speed we're paying for. The last test came up as 0.7MBS. Can someone do some tests and help sort us out please?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will turning off interleaving speed up my broadband? I'm not a gamer

Will turning off interleaving speed up my broadband? - NO !

If your connection is not achieving it's full potential sync speed, then having interleaving switched ON will almost certainly provide a greater real-world throughput than running FASTPATH (i.e. interleaving off).

Theoretically, slightly greater data bits per second can be transferred with interleaving off, however that minuscule improvement will be wiped out many times over if there are errors present on the connection - due to the need to resend any corrupted data packets (which are very large in comparison to the few bits saved without interleaving).

Interleaving is used to assist the error correction capability of your modem. The more effective the error correction is, then the need for retransmissions is reduced, which in turn maximises throughput.

Do you know what speed your line should be achieving ?

If not, try entering your phone number into the 'BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER'

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's not totally correct. Some lines have interleaving put on when it is not needed.

What you need to do is look at the detailed router stats and see how many FEC errors you are getting. If it is very low turning off interleaving may give you a small speed increase. If you are getting a lot of FEC errors you are far better leaving interleaving on.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Estimates:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 4 Available -- --

Your line is testing as:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 44.3 63.5
SNR Margin: 10.0 6.5
Errored Seconds: 0 1
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 553797 2982363
Speed: 480 1440
Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 576 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 460
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 4547
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 382

So from that it appears your line is quite long (63.5db is the maximum that some lines show) and there aren't many errors. However it's connecting below the estimates but above the fault threshold rate (which is what allows us to report a speed fault on an ADSL line).

Can you confirm how you're connected internally? Are you in the master socket without any extension leads and are you using wireless or wired connections?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'll assume it's operating on ADSL1 for no good reason rather than ADSL2?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@Anonymous @jelv

I wouldn't say either of those explanations about interleaving are quite right, but in any case, such a long line is almost certainly better with interleaving on. My own line isn't quite as long as this one, but I get more bandwidth with interleaving on than off. So how does that work, since the error correction data uses up some of the bandwidth? It's because the error correction ability is factored in (coding gain) when the modem determines what speed it can connect at.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's because interleaving encodes data in a way that incorporates more data redundancy, so that you get a signal that includes a greater degree of automatic error correction. This reduces requests for resending of packets (a slow option).

You don't get a free lunch, so speed reduces but your connection is more stable.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Here's a graph to illustrate what I actually get.

intlv.png

VileReynard
Hero

Have a skim read of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Any particular reason? They already said they weren't concerned about latency, and neither am I.

VileReynard
Hero

Nor me.