cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will speed improve moving from Value to Extra ?

eugeneg
Grafter

Will speed improve moving from Value to Extra ?

If the current broadband downline speed is always much less than 1Mbps on an 'up to 8MB' service with the Value product, would moving to the Extra or Pro packages improve the speed if the exchange is 21CN enabled and an ADSL2+ router is in use ?  The usual checks for speed problems have been done (microfilters, router replacement, bell wire, master socket, wired connection etc.)
4 REPLIES 4
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Will speed improve moving from Value to Extra ?

Quote from: eugeneg
If the current broadband downline speed is always much less than 1Mbps on an 'up to 8MB' service with the Value product, would moving to the Extra or Pro packages improve the speed if the exchange is 21CN enabled and an ADSL2+ router is in use ?

Depends on your line attenuation, which you should get from your router. This graph should give a hint as to expected improvement (or otherwise...) http://surispace.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/internode-adsl2-distance1.jpg
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your estimated speed on Max is 4.5mbps, on ADSL2+ it's 5500mbps. If you're only getting 1mbps then please report it to the faults team at http://faults.plus.net
eugeneg
Grafter

This was a general question not related to my own account.  I ask as I have a client who has raised fault tickets but not received an explanation of why there is a discrepancy between two houses on the same street - hence roughly the same distance from the exchange.  One gets about 500Kbps at best, the other 2Mbps.  These speeds do roughly correlate with the BT estimated speeds, so it is not an issue related to a single house I think.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi eugeneg,
Unfortunately its not always possible to give a general answer to a general question. Assuming that your client is using PN I would urge you or them to contact us with their username so we can take a look at the fault ticket.
If they are the same distance away from the exchange as a person who gets much greater speed there could be an issue with their individual line or equipment so we'd need to take a good overview of the specifics on this really.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team