cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will plusnet TV service result in any notable changes to broadband service?

jimbof
Grafter

Will plusnet TV service result in any notable changes to broadband service?

I notice on the BT wholesale checker that Fibre Multicast is a separate item to standard FTTC.  
It also seems BT reserve 150mbps to each cab for FTTC multicast services.  See this doc:
https://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/Presentations/downloads/Network_Teach-in_Mar2013.pdf
Does anyone know:
1) does the Plusnet proposed TV service use Fibre Multicast?
2) does this mean anything for people who currently have FTTC - any downtime to switch from standard FTTC to fibre multicast for example?  Does it run on a different network?
3) does any of this mean issues for standard plusnet things like static IP's etc?
Apologies if this is the wrong forum - couldn't see anywhere better to put it.
4 REPLIES 4
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Will plusnet TV service result in any notable changes to broadband service?

1) Yes, it uses multicast  ( http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123283.msg1071730.html#msg1071730 )
2) The architecture of the cabinet DSLAM means that a request from the customer router to register for a particular mulitcast address will make the traffic available on their existing connection
3) Shouldn't do
jimbof
Grafter

Thanks, useful information Smiley
chrcoluk
Grafter

I think is now reserved 500mbps not 150mbps per cabinet, the document states it been upgraded later in the year and its a 2013 document. Smiley
jimbof
Grafter

I'll be interested to see what the implications are for people not using Plusnet-supplied routers.
I understand that although the multicast traffic appears on the same bit of wire out of the FTTC modem, it isn't actually encapsulated within the PPPoE connection to Plusnet - it is broadcast traffic running alongside the PPPoE data.  So you need to gain access to the multicast traffic and then proxy it onto your LAN, while being mindful not to broadcast it to all your wireless clients too..!  Setup is, I understand from hanging around on some other Youview forums, quite involved.