cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will once a day power on/off trigger DLM?

TORPC
Grafter

Re: Will once a day power on/off trigger DLM?

Quote from: Anotherone
Turning DLM off will not fix a faulty phone line which is what sounds like the problem here.
<snip>

Of course it will not fix the problem, & it never will
However & that said
I did say it was a Vague option
It will only help & will prevent the DLM kicking in, if the OP still needs to power cycle the router on a regular basis until the problem(s) are fully troubleshooted fixed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't think turning off DLM is actually an option now - it used to be possible to fix the noise margin but I think that was removed a while back
TORPC
Grafter

Hey OJ
My DLM is turned off as it has been proven to be best for my line (Especially when I was constantly, troubleshooting router, disconnects) & having to reboot  / reset the router on a regular basis
On my line (I can not say for others as every line is different (Even with my old ISP on LLU) DLM switched off is best))
Never did find out the why's & wherefore's though
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well DLM does not appear to have kicked in to date. But that's not the point, the problem is it's not reconnecting at the moment without Dalesman attending the premises, which from what he's said is clearly as gross inconvenience and expense. No amount of fiddling with DLM will change that.
TORPC
Grafter

As for the DLM previously kicking in to date
That was never mentioned, as it was clearly & only mentioned as a possible trigger towards DLM kicking in (Please keep in context)
Quote from: Dalesman
The only way around this that I can think of is to fit a timer plug and briefly power the router off/on once every 24 hours.  This could be done for something like 15 minutes in the middle of the night, every night.  But would doing this trigger DLM to cut the already-not-great download speed?  We are on ADSL with a download speed of 1-2 Mbps.

& the very reasonably reply
Quote from: Gus
If done during night yes DLM will kick in, if you have to after 7 am and no later than 6pm

Then as a Vague option & only a vague option, which can obviously be reversed if required is it to turn DLM off
Anotherone
Champion

Well I'm sorry that quote from Gus isn't right.
TORPC
Grafter

Would you like to provide the most up to date proof & source, to substantiate your claim that 
<snip> Gus isn't right.
?Huh
& also provide the OP with the corrected & factual information, rather than claiming a member is incorrect ?Huh
Furthermore, why you hadn't mentioned that
<snip>Gus isn't right.

until after I posted the quote ?Huh
Anotherone
Champion

@TORPC
I suggest you go and read all the manuals and stuff about DLM, there's also information in the Community Library, and Google is your friend. I have no intention of wasting my time doing something that you can do for your self.
Dropping a connection in the middle of the night does NOT cause DLM to kick in. If there are other issues going on then that may be a different matter,. but just dropping the connection does not have that effect.
And here is another misleading post.
Quote from: PNRichardC
Firstly it shows the advice in this forum about how to disconnect safely is wrong.  I clicked the Disconnect button and it reconnected within 6s, before I had had time to unplug the line.  Once the line was unplugged, you can see it retries every 50s.

Sorry the advice is not wrong for a great number of modem/routers. Some unfortunately do try to reconnect automatically and yours would seem to be one of them. Some have no ability to drop the PPP Internet session at all, and the advice for all those is to pull the power plug and wait a while before doing whatever needs doing next.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

If the DLM is "kicking in" there will be a good reason for doing so and (even if it were possible) forcing it off is simply going to make the link unstable and / or drive-up the error rate, such that the effective DATA transfer rate is markedly degraded.
Raw synch speed is not everything.  A too high synch speed for the capability of the line will lead to an increased need for error recovery and retransmission of the data.
Stability above synch speed delivers better DATA TRANSFER SPEEDS.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Just to be clear btw, Gus is getting a bit confused, between "DLM kicking in" and the fact that noise levels are higher after dark and so you'll often get slower sync speeds on long lines (as mentioned in my reply  #24).
TORPC
Grafter

You claim the some are either "isn't right" / "Misleading" & now "Confused" & yet you are not prepared to provide proof to substantiate your claims, however you want me to waste valuable time to research & provide the OP with the correct information as opposed to you being able to provide the information in a much quicker time frame.
Well I'm sorry that quote from Gus isn't right.

<snip>
And here is another misleading post.
Quote from: PNRichardC
Firstly it shows the advice in this forum about how to disconnect safely is wrong.  I clicked the Disconnect button and it reconnected within 6s, before I had had time to unplug the line.  Once the line was unplugged, you can see it retries every 50s.

Just to be clear btw, Gus is getting a bit confused, <snip>

If you can not / will not / not able to provide factual proof to your claims, then please apologise to those that you are claiming are misleading / isn't right & Confused, then please refrain for making such statements that you are clearly not willing / or are able to backup
Whether or not the posts you refute, are right or wrong,
Would it not be fair & be very helpful, to provide factual information that you claim to know but won't provide for the OP
Anotherone
Champion

Do it yourself. You are the one that continues to post misleading hypothetical theories because you do NOT understand the issues. I've given my advice, if you wish to challenge it as wrong - YOU COME UP WITH PROOF.
TORPC
Grafter

Now you claim I am the one that continues to post misleading hypothetical theories & now decides to shout at me, for asking you to provide proof
<snip>You are the one that continues to post misleading hypothetical theories<snip> - YOU COME UP WITH PROOF.

I Have Not claimed you are wrong, I have only asked you to provide proof of your unsubstantiated claims
However where you claim others are wrong (Yet you refuse to post proof of your claims) to which I asked you to do
& there is no reason to shout, since you can not / will not back up your claims, & making what now appears to be false claims, unless otherwise you of course provide the factual proof
Do you not think it fair to provide the in-depth & factual information for the OP, that you claim to know ?Huh
That is now 3 people you have picked on so far today
Are you going to pick on any more ?Huh
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The trouble is, there aren't any DLM manuals to read.
TORPC
Grafter

Thank you for the clarification Smiley