cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my Sync return to it's previous level at any point.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Will my Sync return to it's previous level at any point.

I'm wondering if my Sync will return from it's current 60Mb to it's previous 65Mb and if so when. it's been over a week since my profiles dropped and my Sync hasn't increased even by a Mb never mind the 5Mb i lost in the drop, my TBB graph has been perfectly fine no sign of anything that would cause any problems, I still don't know what caused DLM to drop the profiles in the first place,
I thank Chris for his recent post of explaining how it all works but that doesn't change the fact that in my opinion it's a a pile of steaming cack it's all to happy to drop profiles and such lower Sync / speed but it seems it never wants to give it back, Surly a week is long enough to wait, the fact on fibre you have no access to stats or anything to get an idea of what is going on and when a sync may increase doesn't help matters at all.     
83 REPLIES 83
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Will my Sync return to it's previous level at any point.

My fibre speeds have varied for no apparent reason over the past 18 months, I'm just happy to have a decent connection in the depths of rural Dorset. Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Terranova,
As Chris explained it's something we need to give time, I have however been taking a look at your line and have detected a phone fault which certainly won't help matters for your connection.
I've raised this with our suppliers and we've been given a fix date by the 2nd June, all of the details can be found on ticket 86312371.
Once this is resolved it would then be worth monitoring to see if there's any sync speed change.
Terranova667
Pro

@Chris Purvey Thanks for the reply I look forward to seeing how it goes once the Phone fault has been fixed hopefully it will get back to where it was.  Smiley
Terranova667
Pro

I had a call yesterday from BTO , they said they tested the line and found nothing wrong and asked me if it was ok, I don't know why they were asking me as i wasn't the one that raised the fault i had no idea what the fault was that got reported, I said it seems ok so with that the ticket with them was closed.
I have no idea if the fault that was raised by Chris was fixed or why they contacted me shouldn't they be asking plusnet that question, I have updated my ticket with the same info. was the fault fixed ? I cant tell one way or another. my profiles still haven't increased that i do know for sure.     
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've re run the test and it is now not detecting the fault so I would imagine this has now been resolved. It may not have been that this was impacting your speed.
I can see your sync rate is currently at 62.6Mbp/s and it may increase from that, unfortunately only time will tell.
Terranova667
Pro

thanks for the reply Chris, well at least that's one positive with the fault being fixed, but why hasn't my profiles changed to match the slight increase in sync they still are at 60Mb for both PN and IP yet you say i'm syncing at 62Mb clearly DLM isn't increasing them to match what it should be. 
Terranova667
Pro

NO reply as to why DLM hasn't increased my profiles clearly it isn't working as it should so can i get a line reset or them manually increased I'm sick of waiting for a flawed system to make changes that clearly are not going to happen automatically it's been almost 2 weeks that's long enough .  
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Your IP Profile is 96.79% of your synch rate, so if you are synching at 62Mb, then that works out at 60.0098, so your IP Profile and Current Line Speed are correct.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

DLM won't improve your sync rate if your line is erroring at a high sync rate. DLM's job is to ensure that your line remains stable. Whilst it may have remained stable when you were first provisioned, it looks as though the line conditions have changed.
Doing a DLM reset will have absolutely no benefit at all as the line will sync at it's highest and DLM will bring it back to the sync rate that you have now. I fully appreciate that you want the best out of your line and that you would like the speeds that you have had previously. If DLM feels that it can sustain higher speeds it will make the necessary changes.
The DLM system, in my opinion isn't flawed, it actually ensures that you have a good experience. If your sync rate was higher, as it was before, you'd either have a dropping connection or you'd see packet loss and a large amount of retrains. again, I can totally understand and see where you're coming from, but I'm being realistic.
We don't have any information that would tell us when/if your profile is going to change unfortunately so we try and make a good, educated guess, where possible.
Terranova667
Pro

@Chris thanks for the reply, I understand where your coming from, it's just that I come from ISPs ( uk online and BE)  that never had this type of system in place.
I understand DLM thinks it's doing someone a favour by putting stability before speed but surly that should be down to the user to decide after all it's them that are paying for the service not some automated system that thinks it knows best. 1 drop in almost three months doesn't to me constitute a poor line that requires Sync to be lowered and kept lowered despite what DLM may think. again i appreciate the reply.   
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Any ISP that use FTTC through BT Openreach are all subject to the same DLM system - the difference now is that we have an understanding of how DLM works.
Unfortunately we're not in a position to be able to control when the DLM will/won't make changes to your line. If we could do this, it's certainly something we could provide on a case-by-case basis, but we don't.
1 drop in almost three months doesn't to me constitute a poor line that requires Sync to be lowered and kept lowered despite what DLM may think.

It's not the amount of drops in connection that have caused DLM to reduce your sync rate, it's the error count on your line.
Terranova667
Pro

Turns out the fault that was reported wasn't fixed after all I had an update to the ticket today the fault is still there so it's back to BTO to do what they should have done in the first place.
fault is a battery contact fault sending a voltage that is to high for the line, it's set for Friday for an engineer to fix the fault lets see if BTO actually send an engineer this time.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Terranova667
fault is a battery contact fault sending a voltage that is to high for the line

If that contact fault is intermittent, there is always the risk that when someone looks, the fault is not there to be found.  It could come from anywhere on your d-side, which if another line is being worked on could become worse of better with no intentional action.  Will just have to hope that the fault is presenting on the day BTOR visit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Terranova667
Pro

engineer turned up at my home said he was told it was a noisy line i told him i was told a battery contact fault  seems the typical BTO of not sending the right info to the engineers, so i have no clue if he looked for the right fault anyway he said he had just been to the cab but found nothing wrong and said he would run some tests on my line while he was here anyway so he unplugged the modem etc to run the tests on the line they came back clean, so it seems that the fault could be random or no longer there i dont know.  he sent the results back to Plusnet but said there wasn't anything else he could do as everything tested fine.
one big down side however is upon connecting the modem back up DLM has in it's infinite wisdom ( i hate that f'ing system)  to reduce my IP profile down to 58Mb from 60 so i have lost a further 2Mb It's clearly not noise related as there was none at the time other wise the Engineer would have spotted it, Has DLM put interleaving on or something can this be taken off,   with no clue as to whether i will get back the 2Mb i just lost never mind my previous 65mb it's not a good day at all  Sad