cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will existing PlusNet 2704 router automatically connect to new line & account?

WNewall
Dabbler

Will existing PlusNet 2704 router automatically connect to new line & account?

I've got a PlusNet 2704 router that has been installed and used previously for a phone+broadband package.
That package and phone line was terminated a few months ago, but now a new PlusNet phone+broadband package has been ordered for the same property.
The old 2704 router is still connected, so my question is:
  Does anyone know if the old router will automatically connect to the new account when broadband is activated on the new phone line?
  Or will the settings on the router need changing, or is the router even 'locked' to only work with the old line/account?
Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Will existing PlusNet 2704 router automatically connect to new line & account?

Hi,
The router is linked to the account.  Therefore if the account name is different then the details need changing.  For auto configuration, the router's serial number us linked to the account.  If the account name gas changed, it ought to be possible to move the serial number to the new account.
To avoid confusion to CRT, U.S. this forum identity associated with the old account name or the new one?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Will existing PlusNet 2704 router automatically connect to new line & account?

Hi WNewall,
It's not "locked down" as such, but until you log into it - you'll need the plastic card with the password, or look at the label on the back of it, and change the Broadband Username and put in your own Account Password, it will automatically connect to the previous account.
See attached image.
If you do a factory reset, it will resort to the TR069 server setup and fetch the details of the previous account unless it's been removed from that account. The previous owner should have contacted Plusnet to have it removed from the old account, but one of the CRT members here may be able to arrange that and add it to your account. If that's not done it will connect to the previous account after a factory reset as just explained unless you manually re-enter your details.
Is your Forum Username here associated with your old Plusnet account or the new one. If it's the old one, it may be best if you register a new forum username with your new account.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and then you can have two forum logins and confuse us  Grin Grin
Anotherone
Champion

And where have we been with that one before Jim, the other didn't have a very happy ending, he'll of course stop using his old one - I'm sure it could be de-activated in some way.
WNewall
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.
This forum identity is not related to either of the 2 accounts being discussed.
I'm asking on behalf of the new account holder (who is completely non-technical and doesn't know anything about routers etc), to work out what is the easiest way to get the new account connected (without me being physically there, because I'm living too far away).
So, using the old router will involve logging on to it and changing the settings, which might be too difficult for them to do.
So, it sounds as if it will be easier to try to get them to disconnect the old router and replace it with the new router, which will then automatically connect to the new account.
Anotherone
Champion

If we get one of the CRT to post here, it would be wise to PM them the old account details and 2704n serial number to get it de-registered from the account and removed from the TR-069 system.
As stated in reply #2, it's straight forward to change the details as shown on the screenshot, just enter their broadband username and broadband account password. They can do that now before it all goes live.