cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will connecting to different gateways really help?

craney

Will connecting to different gateways really help?

Just curious to know if I try and connect to a different gateway well it perhaps help me keep my line speed constantly? I get 70mb down but even now its down to 30mb and it will fluctuate through the evening. I heard that changing to a less congested gateway may help but after checking the gateway numbers they all seem to be more a less full up. Im on gateway ptw-ag01 at the mo, I check everyday and they always look the same. Is it a possibility my exchange could be congested (Braintree) My IP profile according to BT speed checker is 77mb which is perfect so I don't want to reboot in case that changes. My upload on the other hand stays at 17mb all the time no matter what the time of day
Hope someone may be able to advise
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Will connecting to different gateways really help?

Don't get confused with using the term Line speed when you really mean Download speed. You don't need to touch the Modem to Gateway hop - in fact if you reboot the modem you may end up in a far worse situation as FTTC DLM can be very aggressive.
Assuming you have the TG582n, if you want to Gateway hop, log in to your Router and go to the Internet Box as shown here (you won't see DSL Connection on Fibre) and click Disconnect. This drops the PPP session to Plusnet. Wait about 30 seconds and then Click Connect. You should end up on another Gateway. The new PPP session will also ensure the BT servers are updated with your current sync speeds, so run the BTw Diagnostic tester again to see if they actually are what you thought.
Plusnet will have to check the status of Braintree as far as FTTC congestion goes, there's no user accessible data at this time. However if you are seeing significant slow downs like that and it persists more more than a few minutes - ie.don't rely on just one speedtest and try a couple of testers - then make a note of the Gateway you are on and post the details & the speed.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi craney,
I've chekced your exchange and there are no congestion issues at present. Are you currently connecting over a wired or wireless connection?
craney

Thanks for the response guys, I always use a wired connection never wireless. Ran a speed test this morning around 8am on the bt speed tester and got my normal 72mb down. Just ran a few tests this evening I wont list the upload speed as its always the same around 17mb up whatever time of day I test. All done with BT speed tester
Gateway ptw-ag01
9.20 pm - 39mb Down
9.30 pm - 39mb Down
9.40pm -  62mb Down
9.45pm -  60mb down
My connection has been up since the day it was installed 13 days now not one dropout which is fab. I really am a happy PlusNet customer Smiley just curious to the fluctuating speeds throughout the evening that's all.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The slower results will be due to congestion somewhere. It could be your Cab, it could be the speedtester! Do some tests at off-peak times using a variety of speedtesters and servers and find which ones give the most consistent results for you - they needn't necessarily be identical! Then use those (include the BTw tester) routinely. If you get a result that's significantly different from your norm, try one of your other chosen testers.
If they are all giving similar abnormal results then this indicates a problem that should be looked at.