cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a Filtered faceplate help with this?

riemanrez
Grafter

Re: Will a Filtered faceplate help with this?

well i'll have to wait until tommorow until i start taking apart the extension box to look at the cables strands, but i can confirm now that all the cables are flat. By multi strand, i assume you mean multiple strands within each of the 4 coloured wires. I definately have a fair bit of spare phone cable with a solid core in each of the 4 coloured wires. Is solid core good or bad? Like i said i will have to wait until i have more time to see if the wire currently running upstairs is multi core or not.
And if the quality of the phone cable has no effect, i will be happy to just cut the splitter off and wire it straight onto the back of the faceplate. I assume i can do this? I suppose the cable for the router can just be wired onto the ADSL side of the faceplate too?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The flat cable is no good for ADSL extensions - ie to your router, as it is not twisted pair cable. It's ok after a filter for a phone, but not before a filter.
If your spare cable is round, and solid core, if you gently strip a bit of the outer sheath, presumably White, you should see that the blue pair are twisted together & the orange pair are twisted together, in which case it's likely to be CW1308 - where did you get it from?
The type of connectors that will be on the back of your new faceplate and usually on the back of most sockets are called IDC - Insulation Displacement Connector -  and you cannot use multi-strand cable for them as it will not make a good connection and will probably work loose.
As the name implies,  the connector displaces the insulation to maker contact with the wire. You push the wire, which you do not strip, into the connector with the special tool. You must not use screwdrivers or the like which may force the jaws apart and result in a bad connection. Most IDC terminals will take 2 wires with no problem, and sometimes 3. You must push each one in individually.
If the cable to the kitchen is solid core, that is what I was going to suggest, if you had enough spare length at the master - was remove the adaptor by whatever method depending on how much spare cable you had there.
You must replace the flat cable going to the modem/router. The socket in the kitchen is fine, you don't need another on the shopping list! The socket for the modem/router doesn't need to be changed if you don't mind keeping the filter to convert from BT connector to RJ11 (the filter does nothing on the ADSL side - it filters the phone side). Make sure that the socket for the modem/router is as close as possible to where your modem/router is, so that the lead to the modem/router itself is as short as possible ie don't use an extension lead, and use the short lead that should have been with it.
Keeping a filter at your modem/router socket at least gives you the flexibility of plugging a phone in there if you need to.
riemanrez
Grafter

ah well none of my cable is likely to be twisted pair, because everything is flat, and the spare cable is also flat. I stripped some of it just to check and it's definately not twisted. I thought it might have been because i remembered using twisted pair cable for something, but that would probably have been when i installed my ethernet cables. So i'll buy enough cable to go upstairs and keep the kitchen wiring in place. If it isn't solid core i'll just have to cope with plugging it in instead. I think i'll put an ADSL extension box by the router anyway because my filters are getting a bit old and damaged now and i'd like to remove them from the equation completely. It's also much tidier that way.
Just need to measure up then... Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Agree with you there, that said if you don't mind spending a couple of quid extra, why not get one of these for your modem/router extension socket - http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php - gives you the option of plugging a phone in if you wish.
Keep your old filters, always useful for testing purposes should there be a problem. Actually it may be easier to check they are ok for test purposes before you fit your new filtered face plate and replace the cable to upstairs.
Unplug every thing from the Master and just plug the upstairs extension in. Take a phone upstairs and plug filter 1 in and the phone into it. Powerup the modem/router and check the sync speed - if you get that 7616 you got the other day or very near it, filter 1 is ok. Do the same with filter 2.
Tip - When you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have an intermittent line problem.
When it comes to the new wiring for your upstairs extension, you should only connect the Blue pair. Blue-white should go to terminal B on the back of the ADSL Nation front plate and terminal 2 on the extension socket. The White-blue should go to A on the faceplate & 5 on the extension socket. Don't connect the orange wires. (If you choose to use a dedicated RJ11 socket for your modem/router instead of the XTF or standard extension socket, then the wires go to the middle two pins (3&4) on the RJ11 socket.)
For your kitchen extension, if it turns out to be solid core so that you can hard wire it, as its going to the filtered output of the face plate, the Blue/white to 2, White/blue to 5 & Orange/white to 3. Check all is well by using a phone at all phone sockets, check for dial tone, then ring in to make sure it rings (check with your existing filter removed).
Once your kitchen extension is connected to the filtered face plate you won't need the filter there - except - if it is a cordless phone, some - not all (as can some sky boxes) cause interference to the ADSL and need to be double filtered, ie plug a filter into the filtered output and plug the phone into that. (Needless to say you never plug a modem/router into the second filter as the ADSL has been filtered out by the first filter!).
I'd be very surprised, if when you have completed this, you don't get the max.sync speed (or close to it) and a 7M profile.
Hope that all helps, come back with any questions.
PS. If your kitchen extension isn't solid core, buy enough cable to rewire it - it's cheap enough - you may not get round to doing it straight away, but at least you can then stop the sofa bashing the connector eventually - don't want to break the new faceplate  Wink
riemanrez
Grafter

Cool.
I'll probably just use an ADSL extension box as i won't ever want a phone at that socket. As for the kitchen phone, it is cordless, so is there any way to tell if it will interfere with the signal based on the make/ model? If it helps, it's a BT studio 1500. I guess otherwise i'll just have to wait and see if a filter makes any difference.
Anotherone
Champion

That's the best method. Once you've got your wiring tidied up etc, monitor your SNRM with the cordless switched on and then with it off. If you notice a big change, try a second filter (at the phone end) and see if that fixes it.
riemanrez
Grafter

will do Wink
Ordered everything yesterday evening so hopefully it should all come before saturday so i can fit it at the weekend. Getting the new cable to go through the ceiling is gonna be fun Grin
riemanrez
Grafter

Ok first of all thanks to Anotherone (and others) for excellent advice. Having installed all the cables i now get the following stats;
ADSL Link                                            Downstream                      Upstream
Connection Speed                              8128 kbps                          448 kbps
Line Attenuation                                  15 db                                    3.5 db
Noise Margin                                      11 db                                    27 db
(the noise margin is a bit low at the moment but this is probably due to this being measured at peak time. I will try to get an off peak value too.)
The attenuation has dropped right down now though, and i am syncing at 8128 kbps even during peak time.
Although my IP profile hasn't changed yet, i'm expecting it to soon. My new dilema is now this;
I thought i'd try to speed up the process of getting my IP profile increased by replying to my existing support ticket and asking plusnet to change it (or at least tell BT it needs changing).
Instead i got this rather odd reply;
We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving on on your phone line to try and fix your current broadband problem.
Interleaving is a form of error correction that helps to improve the stability of high-speed broadband. One drawback of interleaving is that it can increase ping times, which may cause problems for online gamers.
We think that turning on interleaving may help with your connection problems. Interleaving usually takes 24 hours to turn on, but can take up to 5 days to take effect.
If interleaving solves your problem, please close this Question. If you are still seeing problems with interleaving switched on, please return this Question to us with as much detail about your problem as possible. Thank you for your time and patience.

erm... Do i really want interleaving turned on? The whole idea was that i no longer have a problem because i have made the hardware changes, so what is interleaving going to fix? Surely if i has a very stable 8128 kbps sync speed then it wouldn't make any difference? I wouldn't worry but i do a lot of online fps gaming so ping is important, and mine is bad enough as it is... Will the benefts outweigh any ping increase, or should i ask for it to be turned back off?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am  not a gamer but from what I have seen, you definitely dont want interleaving.  What is your current PN profile?
Anotherone
Champion

Those stats are now looking good.
I do despair when I see that type of ticket response, which is not appropriate to the request - that said PN can't alter the BT profile (nor will BT unless it's stuck!). The exchange DLM will adjust it within the usual 3-5days (boring), you may be lucky and see it quicker. It's the PN profile that can be given a quick kick if it doesn't follow the BT one within 12hrs.
It's a shame they didn't  check your current line stats before responding. Anyway, reply to the ticket stating that "your current line problems have been fixed by modifying your internal wiring after advice on the forums. You do not want interleaving on, will they please turn it off. NOT Auto, but OFF. Thank you".
Post the ticket number and hopefully Chris Parr will see this and pick it up tomorrow.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Having spent quite some time with Anotherone, on similar problems, after PN disconnected me and lost my profile on a package change. I was advised to re-wire my internals sockets, due to using the flat multicore cable....
I found this on Ebay....
15M WHITE TELEPHONE CABLE 2 PAIR/4 CORE BT Spec CW1308
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15M-WHITE-TELEPHONE-CABLE-2-PAIR-4-CORE-BT-Spec-CW1308_W0QQitemZ350207983265QQ...
(He has other lengths also on there )
together with an IDC insertion tool for 99p ... it arrived by first class post the following morning....
did the re-wire, and cannot believe how much noise is now removed from my graphs.... 
well worth the money, and the time spent doing the job...
riemanrez
Grafter

ahaha this is brilliant; sometimes i wonder why i even bother  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Your comment 12:33am, Sunday 29th November 2009
Dear Mrs Christine Rieman,
We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving on on your phone line to try and fix your current broadband problem.
Interleaving is a form of error correction that helps to improve the stability of high-speed broadband. One drawback of interleaving is that it can increase ping times, which may cause problems for online gamers.
We think that turning on interleaving may help with your connection problems. Interleaving usually takes 24 hours to turn on, but can take up to 5 days to take effect.
If interleaving solves your problem, please close this Question. If you are still seeing problems with interleaving switched on, please return this Question to us with as much detail about your problem as possible. Thank you for your time and patience.
Kind regards
PlusNet Customer Support

Your comment 5:11pm, Tuesday 1st December 2009
thanks, but as i indicated above, my problems have now been fixed by the hardware changes. All that is required is that my IP profile be increased to reflect these changes. I absolutely do not want interleaving turned on, as this will increase my gaming pings and will probably have no effect now that i am achieving stable sync speeds of 8128 kbps. Could you please set interleaving to "OFF" (not "AUTO")
thanks

Your comment 12:34am, Wednesday 2nd December 2009
Dear Mrs Christine Rieman,
Kind regards
PlusNet Customer Support

leeanthony
Grafter

haha  Cheesy thats why i dont bother using ticket support no more mate, i find it quite funny reading that because it reminds me of my troubles with ticket respones a couple months back. I would close the ticket and not bother with them, they dont even read them properly half the time and usually respond with silly generic responses.
Just close the ticket and ask someone on here to turn it off for you Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Mark has already spotted the post on the R&R board http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81146.msg667059.html#msg667059
riemanrez
Grafter

ok so i'm a bit confused now...
So far i have checked my router at least once a day during peak time and the sync speed has always been at 8128 kbps. When i run a bt speedtest it tells me that my IP profile is 7150 kbps. Looking at my plusnet account i am pretty sure that my profile here is also 7Mb/s (although i would like to know how i can tell properly). The problem is, i made the hardware changes on saturday and there has been no change is speed even a week later. When i run a speed tester i get about 3.2Mb/s every time. Does this mean my bRAS profile is stuck?
*EDIT; found the proper page to get my plusnet stats
Telephone number:
0195956****
Phone exchange:
WESTERHAM
Estimated line speed:
7 - Checked on 2009-12-04 18:49:45
Current line speed: