Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Plusnet increase upload speed for Keyworker Teachers

Gem1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Will Plusnet increase upload speed for Keyworker Teachers

Hello,

Both me and my partner are teachers. Everyday we are uploading videos and live streaming lessons for students. It is taking a very very long time to upload lessons that are 1hr long so we have resorted to using our mobile data. With wifi we get 0.5 - 1mb upload speed but it also makes the internet incredibly slow when we are uploading. I would upgrade to fibre but it is not available at our address. I have paid for one of the plusnet pro add-on but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Overall its making our jobs very difficult and frustrating at the moment there must be others in our situation. Do you think plusnet would be willing to help us out in any, if they can. Any other suggestions welcome but bear in mind we are moving home as soon as practically possible.

11 REPLIES 11
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Will Plusnet increase upload speed for Keyworker Teachers

@Gem1 

It may be you're already receiving the fastest upload that your line can handle. Put your phone number in here and see what it says about your line.

www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You could also check to see if anything is planned for your area here.

www.openreach.com/

Brian

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @Gem1

Thanks for your query.

The speeds that you are receiving over WiFi, sound about right. I've tested your line today and can see the upload is at the maximum and there's little that can be done to change this. I'm really sorry.

I would advise using a wired connection for important tasks such as working from home, as this will provide a more stable and reliable connection. Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

If FTTC and Virgin are unavailable, then I'd suggest you try out 4G. There are unlimited 4G deals that are quite cheap, and in many places the achievable speed is much better than ADSL/ADSL2+ (especially upload). I'd advise trying a cheap PAYG SIM before committing to a contract, just to be sure the speed is acceptable.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Everyday we are uploading videos and live streaming lessons for students.

Being brutally honest, you're never going to be able to do that on an ADSL connection. The maximum upload speed is about 1Mb.

It is taking a very very long time to upload lessons that are 1hr long so we have resorted to using our mobile data. With wifi we get 0.5 - 1mb upload speed but it also makes the internet incredibly slow when we are uploading.

Even when just downloading data from the internet , theres still a need for some upstream traffic to acknowledge the correct receipt of the downloaded data. If you are also uploading large amounts of data , then the upstream bandwidth is saturated and the acknowledgement of downloaded data is delayed.

If you have the standard PlusNet ADSL modem (2704n) then this is particulary bad in the situation as it suffers from something known as bufferbloat.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gem1
Grafter

I do have the standard plusnet router maybe I will look into an upgraded router.

Thank you everyone it looks like I’m on the limit of the Adam’s capability. Fiber is not available at my locations.

Gem1
Grafter

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 16 -- 8 to 19.5 Available Available --
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 16 Up to 1.5 8 to 19.5 Available Available --
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 7 to 8 Available Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Available --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Observed Speeds ADSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 23.64
Max Observed Upstream Speed 1.24
Observed Date 2020-04-05
Other Offerings Availability Date
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap U
VRI --
NTE FacePlate --
Last Test Date --
FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Dec 2012. the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Thank you for your interest
corringham
Seasoned Champion

Unfortunately the Max Observed stats confirm that your connection is operating at the limit of ADSL2+ technology. Changing router may improve WiFi slightly, but won't improve your connection speed. Plusnet won't be able to provide anything better (they only resell ADSL/ADSL2+ and FTTC on the BT/OR network), so 4G (or perhaps a Fixed Wireless ISP if there is one in your area) will be your only option - that's the route I used to replace my ADSL line. A MiFi device or a 4G router can provide home internet replacement with both wired and WiFi connections.

bbpn
Rising Star

Is Annex M still available (https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Annex-M-for-ADSL2-upstream/td-p/820839)? I think @Gem1 has a fairly good line that can benefit from it according to the stats on the other thread.

@Gem1 wrote:
I do have the standard plusnet router maybe I will look into an upgraded router.

A new router wouldn't increase the bandwidth, but it could make Internet usable / responsive while uploading videos / files if you buy one with traffic shaping capability (https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm), not many unmodified routers can do this even the expensive ones. All routers running recent version of OpenWrt can do it and some are really cheap, many are inexpensive,  e.g. Plusnet Hub One (BT HomeHub 5A) with OpenWrt preinstalled costs around £20 on ebay. Hub Zero (2704N) can also run OpenWrt, but it'd lose the modem function.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@bbpn Annex M was only available on Business products

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bbpn
Rising Star

If it still is available on Business products, maybe @Gem1 could ask Plusnet if they could come up with an arrangement to change home broadband to business broadband with Annex M temporarily which would hopefully double the upload speed?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

Annexe M is very expensive for the extra 1Mbps upload, which is still likely to be unbearably slow. Admittedly only half as unbearably slow as not having it - but 2Mbps just isn't much when you are uploading large files. Even poor 3G/4G is likely to be faster.