Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will PlusNet replace my router?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Will PlusNet replace my router?

At present, I have a ticket raised, and being dealt with, by PN and BT regarding a 50% drop in my speed...... sounds dramatic, but my line is said to support 1152kbps download, and has been consistently supplying 950 or more (two occasions 1.2mb). since I signed up with PN broadband and free router for 12 months.  In the responses, there is the "usual" it could be within your house, i.e. wiring, filters, router. However, NOTHING has been moved or touched since I signed up (late December  2007)if I remember....
so If the final result comes back saying it is not BT line/exchange/equipment fault,I ask this question.....
Will PlusNet replace my router, and filters? That they supplied.
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Will PlusNet replace my router?

It sounds like you are a long way from the exchange and as such reliability in sync speed will vary more the further away you are due to the signal strength being a faction of what was originally transmitted - this is what your line attenuation represents.  If your line attenuation is 60dB then the signal your are actually getting is 1 million of what it was from the exchange - with this drop in strength even small changes can affect connection speeds.
Many factors can affect sync speed, some within your control and some not.
You will have heard all this before but it really is true. Even though you have not changed anything, things can degrade over time like filters and in some cases wiring. e.g. someone may have dislodged a wire in some way or a cat started playing with it.
Weather can play a big part in affecting sync rate (rain can get into underground cable runs and cabinets, dry periods can stretch cable and affect joints). BT may have changed some cabling or fixed a fault up a pole which has affected your connection.
And of course the IP profile drop issue which affects your speeds.
As an example, my connection is on a long line and my sync rate varies between 1500 and 2200 depending on time of day, weather and other factors.
What I'm trying to say is your type of connection can be very variable and this is not necessarily down to faulty equipment. It is very unlikely PN will replace your router as it is almost impossible to determine the cause of your slowdowns.
What is your router and what are your line stats?
shutter
Community Veteran

I understand what you are saying about being a long line, (actually it is 2.5 km as the proverbial crow flies, and I am just off the main A3 road from the exchange, so the line is probably 3.0 km)
The router is a Voyager 2091 as provided by PlusNet (with two filters) in December last year (5 months ago) so I doubt if they have "degraded" in that time? ? ? ?
The fault has reared its ugly head last Sunday (7 days ago) after consistently supplying 950+ kbps since inception.
If I remember, we did have some serious rain the previous couple of days, but the reports coming back from PN team are "making suggestions" that it "could" be my equipment. Hence the question.....
As PN supplied the equipment only 5 months ago, as part of a deal, if it is faulty, (and I cannot prove either way) then PN should replace it under the terms of "sale of goods act" to rectify the problem, (or even to eliminate the equipment they supplied) from the equation.
Not applicable

One of my referrals had (what I thought) to be a faulty Voyager -  after ringing BT for advice, they said to return it to PN as the warranty was with them. This I did and a new one was sent out.  Packaging was also sent to return the faulty one.
shutter
Community Veteran

I hope I do not have to send the router, and filters back..... I am now waiting the next report which is due on Wednesday p.m. Depending on what that says, depends on what action I take....
shutter
Community Veteran

Update................ Plusnet will not have to replace the router or filters.... Fault has been fixed.... part of it was a bt fault I think, (as it improved, without me doing anything) just for good measure, after the report that  my profile had been updated, I checked out  the extensions one of wihch was s "dodgy" plug and socket on an extension line, now hard wired so speed is back to previous..... happy chappy now  Grin
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

How many threads have you got? Get back to the other one before teacher catches you.  Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah! they can close this one now...... this was about  Plusnet replacing (possibly) faulty equipment.... not really about getting the speed sorted !...
No more comments on this thread please......... Lips_are_sealed  Lips_are_sealed  Lips_are_sealed  Lips_are_sealed  Lips_are_sealed  Lips_are_sealed