cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Plus net still work if i get rid of my old pc?

Keithkkl
Grafter

Will Plus net still work if i get rid of my old pc?

I want to replace my old pc which has plusnet installed on it.
Will Plusnet work on a new pc?
6 REPLIES 6
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Will Plus net still work if i get rid of my old pc?

Plusnet broadband is not PC dependant, so you will be OK with a new PC. 
BUT!!  If you are connected to Broadband via a USB router, you will have to re-install the drivers.  If the USB router is more than a few years old, the drivers may also not be Vista compatible.
Post up the details of what you currently have and are planning to get as a new PC and I'm sure we can help you a bit more.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

It's also worth mentioning that if you are using a USB modem and are looking at getting a Vista enabled PC, the modem may not be supported.
Keithkkl
Grafter

Thanks for the replies
I have Windows XP.
If I do buy a new one it is most likely to have Vista installed on it.
Also I connect to broadband via a USB router
My USB router is only 8 months old.
It's a BT Voyager 210.
Could you confirm whether it should work on a new PC with VIsta and connected via USB? and also the drivers will still be compatible
Thanks
Emma
Grafter

If its a Voyager 210 it should have ethernet as well. So I would recommend to use ethernet, no drivers to install just plug and go. As the login details will already be stored in the router as soon as its plugged in to the new PC it should work!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A new Vista computer will almost certainly have a network (Ethernet) card installed - in fact make sure you get one that has. The Voyager 210 has a single Ethernet port which would connect to your new computer just fine without needing any special drivers installed. The 210 should have come with the required Ethernet cable in the box (I can't remember whether it is coloured yellow or blue).
Whilst the 210 also has a USB port I don't think the drivers provided are compatible with Vista - and as far as I know there aren't any updates which are compatible.
David
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I would use Ethernet anyway, its much better than USB in my view.