cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I get my advertised speed?

OZ
Grafter

Will I get my advertised speed?

I was told that I should get 59mbit (out of 76mbit) based on the online connection test.
So will I end up getting this speed?
11 REPLIES 11
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Will I get my advertised speed?

Do you want to start a sweepstake?
dannystokie
Grafter

I was estimated at 62Mb and I get 73.5 Mb, although i imagine this is not always the case for everyone.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I came aboard thinking FTTC will give me 80/20 I should have looked a little harder, my estimate was 38 so i thought ok thats not too bad.
But i ended  getting 28/06 after all said and done. I might as well of gone for cables 30mb connection because the cab is outside my house.
No line rental etc to pay....... anyway, blah blah. Like the man said, how long is a piece of string.
njay
Grafter

I was estimated 64. I got 54mbs but after open reach came back and did the job properly I now get a line speed of 78.
Note estimate is line speed which maps to just below ip profile which is turn is always slightly higher than speedtest.net etc will return. I.e. even if you hit the estimate speedtest.net will show slightly under.
amcclean
Rising Star

I went live last week with BT estimate of 28mb tonight I am pushing near on 39mb. Did you get the estimate of your proposed speed from BT speed checker or from someone on the phone. My experience of the PN call centres line estimates vary largely. The guys on the forums gave me the more accurate figures compared to on the phone I had been told 76.2 within 3 days of install., 10 day settling period etc.
Who told you you would get such a high speed would be my first question. The line speed in the member centre is set high initially so that you can achieve the highest speed on your line and so that PN line profiles are not stopping you achieve that.
podman
njay
Grafter

Just to say my estimate of 64 was exactly the same as what btw checker indicated prior to me joining. Hardly surprising as that's where PN get their estimated speed from.
the current line speed also shown on your member page isn't initially set high as it may well be still set to whatever your adsl speed was if you already happen to be with plusnet. It updates to match the ip profile which IS initially set to wide open. So if you don't have a line that supports a fast rate you may not ever see it show 78mbs as the ip profile may have already dropped as as result of DLM intervening.
amcclean
Rising Star

Apologies for confusion over line speed. I was advised mine had been set manually to 76.2mb as I was on the 80/20 profile. the 76.2mb and not 78mb was a manual error hence the reason I believed it would have gone to 78mb etc. automatically.
Anotherone
Champion

@njay
The Current Line speed (Login required) is set initially at 78Mbps for the 80/20 service as podman said.
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait 30 seconds then click Connect. This should ensure the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds and ensure that you see a more accurate Profile when you run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Also, once the servers are updated, the Current Line speed will update in due course. However, there is an issue at the moment with the Current Line speed not updating on all services, Fibre and ADSL.
Note, on FTTC the BT IP Profile x1.033 = Sync speed.
njay
Grafter

And sorry I should have phrased my response better too Grin
Current line speed once fttc should be set to max for your product to match the wide open setting of the line when installed
It isn't set always which is in error and what I was implying. If that happens they may manually set it but if DLM has already started to act then PN will set it slightly below whatever is the current IP profile.
Anotherone
Champion

The Current Line Speed value is rounded down to the nearest 100kbps, this is to ensure that the line is never sent more traffic than it can handle which would result in random data drops at the Exchange/DSLAM.
picbits
Rising Star

Next door neighbour got around 30Mb with her TalkTalk FTTC.
I was advised I'd get around 50Mb but consistenly get between 70 and 72Mb