cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will BT Put The 88.2% IP Profile System on 20CN

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Will BT Put The 88.2% IP Profile System on 20CN

Will BT put the 88.2% IP profile system on 20CN?
8 REPLIES 8
x47c
Grafter

Re: Will BT Put The 88.2% IP Profile System on 20CN

I would doubt it - If I was managing it that is!
I reckon BT will be regarding 20CN equipment/software as old/legacy/outofdate/not to be updated...etc depending on how you would want to describe it.
Their long term aim will be to move everyone to 21CN and junk the 20CN equipment in the bin - some of it must be getting rather old now anyway even though it would have been designed to industrial standard (10 year+ life) rather than the retail norm of use it for a few years and chuck it.
Those whose lines can manage ADSL2+ will be on that and those whose lines are longer will be still on ADSL1 but supplied from the 21CN.
I would be wanting to speed up the 21CN implementation in exchanges to avoid having old 20CN stuff hanging about for which you need to maintain a strategic spares stores and these spares will start to get expensive to buy as time goes on. 
(NASA ran into this problem in a big way on the space shuttle - the replacement chips for some of the boards were simply not available anymore)
So if I was BT I would not be looking to spend my resources updating something (20CN) which is being used less an less as each exchange is converted.
The latest thing BT are having to put (ie waste) resources into is.........an emergency mobile fibre cabinet. Some FTTC cabs have been wiped out by idiots/joyrider etc in cars and while BT try and rebuild the original cabinet, the temporary solution is a mobile trailer mounted FTTC cabinet unit - probably complete with its own power supply and designed to cover any site specific conditions.  Wheel it into place and get some sort of FTTC service up ASAP.  Ah well that's another £80000 or so which could have been more "usefully spent" gone west.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I believe BT are moving away from the 20CN network with a view to closing it down completely eventually. As such I suspect as x47c says that they'd be reluctant to invest in it as it wouldn't be worth the money, so I very much doubt the 88.2% quantisation is coming to 20CN I'm afraid.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish BT would remove the artificial 8128/488Kbps maximum sync rates on 20CN lines
		Down		Up
SNR (dB): 9.6 24.0
Attn(dB): 9.0 5.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.8 11.9
Max(Kbps): 9248 1140
Rate (Kbps): 8128 448

From my current router stats, my line could take another Mb on download speed and the upload could be 2.5 times faster  Undecided
WWWombat
Grafter

Your modem thinks it can get that much extra because you aren't down to the target SNR yet, but that's the only reason. ADSL1 doesn't have any higher to go - it just isn't defined that way.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
x47c
Grafter

Blimey, my line must be extra super quiet then.
I'm also on 20CN at 8128 sync with a SNR margin downstream during the day of around 9.0 (9.5 at weekends!) because as WWWombat says the sync won't go any higher under ADSLmax
pretty well exactly as your stats so far
However my  line is 2.4Km long and has a reported attenuation of 33dB..........
WWWombat
Grafter

That's pretty much what our line would do too, pre-fibre. SNR was around 10dB a few years ago, and drifted down to around 7.5dB over time - I guess with more take up. Attenuation was 30.5dB, so I always thought we were borderline, but had a quiet line. It would get about 10 CRC errors per hour.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As it is not possible to improve the "ADSL Max" download sync rate above 8128Kbps, it would be a nice gesture if BT upgraded all 20CN lines to "Max Premium" so those of us stuck on this out of date technology could get an upload sync of 832Kbps rather than the pathetic standard 448Kbps.
It would be one less source of resentment for those customers paying over the odds for being on Market 1 exchanges - perhaps this could be considered by Plusnet in the forthcoming annual product refresh ?
godsell4
Rising Star

It looks like most places will award the BDUK money to BT, should we be surprised by that? Sad
The 1st most likely step will be to enable ADSL2+ and get everyone onto 21CN.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed