cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi use registered when I'm not online

hannahsheppard

Wifi use registered when I'm not online

When Plusnet say 'Your router will respond to network traffic, even if your computers are switched off. As a result you may see tiny amounts of usage (typically a few KB or MB). This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.' how much is a 'few' KB or MB - for instance, last night mine registered 133MB after midnight when I wasn't using it - does that fit within normal?
I ask because my registered usage has gone up dramatically this month (to the point that I reached my limit which just doesn't happen and I wonder if I have a security issue - I've changed my password and broadband name but maybe that's not enough.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Wifi use registered when I'm not online

Any iPads or phones connected to it which may be checking for updates in the background ?
hannahsheppard

There is an iPad but I've had it since November so I'm not sure why that's boosted the use this month and not before. I'll try putting it in airplane mode overnight and see if that makes a difference.
picbits
Rising Star

Worth a shot - let us know how you get on Smiley
Maybe also worth logging in to your router before you go to bed and make a note of the data transfer then check again in the morning. If the router vs Plusnet figures don't match up then there is obviously something wrong there.