cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi unable to connect for some devices in the evening only

udeshjha

Wifi unable to connect for some devices in the evening only

Hi - i have had plusnet broadband service since 2015 and has worked great for connecting several devices. However, in the last one month or so AND only in the evenings, i am unable to connect all my devices. It doesn't connect at all, and its random which devices connect and which don't. I have tried rebooting the router and the brodband device several times but nothing happens. The next morning the connections are fine again. Its quite an inconvenience to have this problem at the peak time of usage (evenings). Also, sometimes the connection speeds are also slightly slower than before for the select devices that connect.  

There is definitely some issue in the recent weeks that causing this. I would appreciate your help in resolving this. Thanks!

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Wifi unable to connect for some devices in the evening only

I'd assume most likely thing is something has been brought into the local area recently which is interfering with the signal-something only switched on in the evening time. Best place to start here is changing up the WiFi channel.

How to do this will depend on what router you have. You'll need to log into the router and check the WiFi settings. If it's a Plusnet one you log in by entering 192.168.1.254 into your browser, then going through to the basic settings for the sagemcom or the advanced for the hub one and look for the WiFi options. There's guides in the help section on the main site. Once you've found the channel setting change that a few times-trial and error and try to find a clear channel.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Use  a wifi analyser programme such as the free inSSIDer and check the "busy ness" of wifi channels in your locale;

then switch to the least used.

If you have a dual band router try turning off the 2.4ghz frequency, as that is the most used one, suffering most congestion.

For future reference this is not the right thread for such queries; should be "My Router" one.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

As you are posting this on the broadband forum I assume that you are using either a Hob Zero or older Thomson router. Both are 2.4 GHz band only, which, has already been said is very congested especially if you live in an urban area. The wifi performance of both these is mediocre at best.

As already suggested try a wifi sniffer, I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone to find the best channel. Look at both the router location and where yo use your devices.

If your wifi is swamped then you need to buy a better router. My budget choice is to go onto Ebay and get a new BT Smarthun 6 for about £30. These are very easy to set up on your Plusnet service, instructions are on the Router board. The dual channel wifi on these is in a different league.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @udeshjha

Some excellent advice here already (thanks, folks!).

The only thing I would add is that if you were looking to recontract your services at any point in the future, it is likely that you would be able to acquire a Hub One router which may give you better results in terms of the wifi. You can discuss the status of your contract and your recontact options on 0800 328 4624.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dave