cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speed

SGTE
Dabbler

Wifi speed

Would someone please be kind enough to direct me where I can find my Technicolor wifi speed

7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Wifi speed

Can you clarify what information you're looking for please and which Technicolor router you have?

Is this the wifi speed your devices are connecting at, or the potential top speed of the wifi?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SGTE
Dabbler

Hi Chris, the router is a TG582n.  We have installed a new free-sat box and he technician who set it up says that the WiFi signal is too slow for the connection to be made.  Our ethernet connection, on this pc, is great, but I wondered where I could find what the speed of the WiFi connection could be and also what my mobile speed wifi connection actually is?

SGTE
Dabbler

May I have a response to my query please?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

In the first instance your WiFi speed is determined by your fixed connection. You say that on a wired connection your speed is fine so that's not the problem.

After this it gets difficult as many things can affect a WiFi connection, most of which are outwith the router's control. If you have a wireless laptop or mobile device run a speed check to see what you get. In fact run 3 tests one after another. Do an ethernet test first. Then a wireless one with the device near the router and then finally with the wireless neat your problem device.

The following PlusNet Support page may offer further help and guidance.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

Brian

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

If you're still having a problem with this it would be a good idea to try using a WiFi scanner app such as inSSIDer to find the best available WiFi channel with the least interference on to set your router to.  

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@bmc,

That statement is not strictly true. Indeed the effective data transfer to / from the internet over wifi can never be faster than the up link, but the up link does not govern the bit rate if the wifi. The OP implied that performance over an Ethernet connected device was 'great' - thus therefore sounds like a wifi performance issue, quite independent of the up link.

Adam's advice of using inssider to inspect the wifi spectrum would be very helpful. Over lapping wifi APs channel use (as opposed to being co-resident) can be quite detrimental to performance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SGTE
Dabbler

Thank you for the responses. FYI my upload speed is 17mbs.  I will try the mobile app to see what the best channel(s) are.