cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping !! Help!

Flush

Wifi dropping !! Help!

Hi

We have fibre with a Thomson router. Everything worked fine till 2 weeks ago. We have sky q, amazon firestick, iPads, mobiles and laptop running wireless . You have always got full wifi signal all over house till 2 weeks ago?? Now can only get wifi in living room where router is located , as soon as you leave living room wifi connection is lost? We have changed nothing in the house? Plusneg say there is no fault on the line and testing it with Ethernet cable the laptop runs fine. Plus net suggested wifi signal getting interference and to try changing channels. We were on channel 11. Tried different channels and channel 1 would allow wifi in the kitchen but then the firestick wouldn't connect to internet! Said strong wifi signal but wouldn't connect . Channel 6 would load firestick but picture quality terrible and always buffering?? We have had to put it back to channel 11. Checked the traffic in the area and 5 using channel1 , 5 using channel6 and 5 using channel 11. I also don't understand how the sky q mini box which is in the dining room and runs off wifi from main box is working fine! But you can't connect on any other device in this room as not picking up wifi?? Do we need a new router?? A dual band one? Wifi boosters?? But I don't understand how everything was working fine till 2 weeks ago?? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the house has come to standstill and I have 2 boys who think there life has ended as the wifi is so poor! They are also getting a Xbox one for Christmas which won't be in the same room as router , /so. I need this fixed by Christmas.
Thank you
Katie
Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wifi dropping !! Help!

When you checked local frequency usage did you check both bands; you may well see little traffic on 5ghz

band, so if true get a dual band router.

Flush

Re: Wifi dropping !! Help!

Hi

No I'll check the 5 ghz but just can't understand why this has suddenly started happening? My next plan was to buy a duel router tom and see if that sorts things out. Thank you
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29