Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Drops when wired connection is also plugged in

jrd1
Hooked

Wifi Drops when wired connection is also plugged in

Hi

I had been using Plusnet Hub One's wifi successfully for a few months. I have now also plugged in a wired connection - to reach a point in the house that wifi doesnt reach reach. The effect of this has meant that the wifi now keeps dropping out on the closer devices.

I have tried the usual suggested Plusnet checks, resets, and splitting the frequencies - none have resolved the issue. Is there anything further and does a firmware need to be pushed through?

I am running 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Wifi Drops when wired connection is also plugged in

The effect of this has meant that the wifi now keeps dropping out on the closer devices.

Are the devices dropping out, on the 5ghz band only , or does it affect devices on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jrd1
Hooked

Devices still drop on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks, that means it's not the problem I thought it might be. That only affects 5ghz devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jrd1
Hooked

Thanks for trying. Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated.

As soon as I unplug the wired connection the wifi connections are fine again, so it is definitely something that the wired connection is doing that is effecting it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I see you've posted in the ADSL board but you have a Hub One? Normally the Hub one is only supplied with a Fibre connection.

Do you actually have a Fibre connection or is it just ADSL ?

I'm thinking if its just ADSL then maybe there is some something running on the device thats wired, which is doing a lot of uploading , maybe Torrent software ?

jrd1
Hooked

Thanks for your message. It is fibre actually.

Whilst the wifi dropout occurs everytime I try and plug in a wired connection, the wifi itself did start losing connection a few weeks before I did this and was asking me to keep inputting the password - which I entered but it said it was incorrect. Not sure if this is connected to the current issue? I see other people have has similar issues with the plus net routers asking it to enter passwords and saying these are incorrect, so is this the router paying up?

Is there a firmware update I need, and/or can plusnet send me a new router which might fix this?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@jrd1 - I've just pushed a firmware update to your router to rule out any known issue from contributing to the problem. You'll need to reboot the router at your side to apply the update. Hopefully it helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Whitman77uk

Hi @bobpullen 

I currently have the 5ghz disabled (connection issues like everyone else) and everything has been fine for a while.

I'm on the 263 firmware - is it worth/could you possibly push the new firware our way?

Thanks

jrd1
Hooked

Thanks bob. I have just reset the router following your update.

Upon restart I have left the wired device in to see if it accepts. Unfortunately it hasn't changed, and I still don't get wifi whilst the wired device (a lead to a wifi booster) is plugged in. As soon as I unplug this wired connection the wifi from the router to the nearby devices returns. So it is still the same issue. Any other ideas?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jrd1  The fact that your wired device is actually a wi-fi booster is suspicious. Could it possibly be interfering with the router wi-fi in some way or your devices don't know which wi-fi network to connect to. Does a laptop or pc connected by ethernet cause the same problem with the router wi-fi. If not it looks like the wi-fi booster is causing the problem