cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Dropped repeatedly

Iwan

Wifi Dropped repeatedly

Hi,
Infuriatingly my Thomson TG585 v8 router keeps disappearing(dropping) and reappearing from my available wifi networks list on my MAC after working for the past two years fantastically.
When the signal is there it is strong.
Connected by LAN it works fine,but this is not possible logisticaly.
This has been going on for a few weeks now.
I see a few others in the forums  have had this problem but no answer is given.
Every page or two fails to load.
Imagine trying to log into your bank account 10 times as you are sent back to the previous page as it hasn't been accepted.
This has possibly coincided with the recent appearance of a BT Fon network in my area although I have blocked the MAC from joining this, it does appear in 'available' networks but never 'joins' it.
What is the answer?
I enjoy being a Plusnet customer and support is excellent but this is no fun.
Thanks in advance,Iwan
12 REPLIES 12
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Wifi Dropped repeatedly

Are you running the latest version of the firmware (8.2.7.8)?  This "cures" MAC connectivity problems although, paradoxically, you need a PC to install the firmware update yourself.  See http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...;
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Have you s/ware to see what else is on local wifi channels; use a free prog such as inSSID.er

If conflicts with neighbouring router, then adjust your routers channel.
BRABUS
Grafter

Good call Gel.  I have been recommending SSID by Metageek on here for a couple of years now.  It helped me out with a problem which sounds almsot the same as Iwan's.
This is where you can find SSID

There seems to be some issues with the latest version download today, if that fails then try the previous version

My advice is to literally sit and run it for a week and when your wifi drops you may notice something appear on the log.  Better to have it running all the time than try and see something after it happens.  Even now mine is working fine I periodically use the SSID app to check that nothing in the area near me could cause me issues.

If you get stuck just shout and I am sure we can all help you with this tool.
Iwan

Hello -Today is an especially difficult day -forget trying to get onto a bank account,I have just managed to pick up my emails.
Thanks for your replies.
Just to remind you,this problem is occurring on my MAC and is just as bad on my Windows laptop.
ReedsRichard - I am runnning  firmware 8.2.7.8 and was recently give a new router as it was easier than upgrading the software(supplied by Plusnet).
BRABUS - Thanks for your reply.I have iStumbler which tells me whats running on what frequency.I have tried many different frequencies over a period of weeks.BT for example are running on 11.I am running on 1 today but narrow bandwidth means today is difficult.
Please keep suggestions coming.
Thanks,Iwan 
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I would check the router uptime and router log to make sure the problem isn't that the router is crashing and rebooting.
Iwan

ok thanks - I wasn't aware there was a router log - any idea where I locate it?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

No, but it must be somewhere in the router's web interface, the default address for that is: http://192.168.1.254
Iwan

ok found it.Thanks
Iwan

Back from holiday but problem still going strong.Picking up emails on my MAC was a nightmare!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

and was recently give a new router as it was easier than upgrading the software

Which router are you using at the moment, the last I can see from your account is that we replaced it last year, I'm just wondering if we replaced it with the same model or maybe a TG582n?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Iwan

Hi it's Thomson TG585 v8  - do you require any further information?
Thanks,Iwan
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, did you see anything on the router logs out of interest? Also I'm going to advise trying a factory reset of the router as the next step.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team