cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi printers loose connection to router

gman1981

WiFi printers loose connection to router

I have recently got FTTC and am using the PlusNet supplied Technicolor TG582n router. But every two days or so, the two wifi connected printers loose connection to the router. And the only way to get them back is to restart the router. Any suggestions?
The wifi connected laptops are fine, but not the printers.
7 REPLIES 7
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: WiFi printers loose connection to router

If you can login to the router and go to Home Network ->Devices. Then for each printer, select them in the list and click on Configure. Tick the box Always use the same IP address.
Then wait and see if the problem occurs again.
That's RPM to you!!
gman1981

I had already set them to keep the same IP. Further info is that they do not ping on their ip address when in this state. It also seems that rebooting the printers do not resolve the problem. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to configure each printer's wireless interface with a permanent static IP address (outside the router's DHCP address range), rather than merely letting the router assign the same address ? - as the latter may involve assigned address lease timeouts, and other potential problems.
gman1981

I'll give that a go. Thanks. Are u thinking the DHCP server on the router is being overloaded?
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it is just that over many years and using a lot of different hardware, I have 'cured' many wireless no longer connecting problems by simply changing the network settings from DHCP allocated, to be static IP addresses (i.e. Gateway IP + subnet mask + LAN IP, and DNS).
It is also a quick and easy thing to try, which is usually a permanent fix, and it doesn't cost any thing to do.  Smiley
gman1981

Cool, I have made the changes I guess I'll wait and see what happens. It has happened twice in the last 5 days, so is somewhat sporadic.
gman1981

It seems the printers have lost connection again even when set to static IP. Any other thoughts?