Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi dropping since yesterday afternoon

FIXED
BertieBassett
Grafter

WiFi dropping since yesterday afternoon

Hello,  My, normally reliable, internet connection has been dropping regularly since yesterday afternoon. No pattern, rhyme or reason. It just seems to cut out for a short while then come back up.Quite frustrating. Does "someone in the know" have any ideas please? Cheers.

10 REPLIES 10
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: WiFi dropping since yesterday afternoon

If you have a PN HubOne router it'll be transmitting on 2 frequencies; try modifying the SSID of the 5ghz channel and see if that assists.

Additionally download a free programme to analyse wifi usage in your vicinity; it may be a neighbour has started using same channel as you;

try inSSIDer to see wifi activity. Then modify channel number/s you are using.

BertieBassett
Grafter

Thanks for that Gel. Understand most of  that.Smiley Will contact PlusNet if it persists. 

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

The newer 5ghz band is far less occupied currently, so try turning off the 2.4ghz band, as long as your wireless device support dual band.
BertieBassett
Grafter

Sadly, Gel, I think my IT skills are somewhat lacking when it comes to dual bands et al. Interestingly, though, I did do an online fault report which raised a Plus-Net support ticket. This includes doing some in house checks. Did these, sent the report and the technical guys came back sort of asking me to do them again as the problem may appear to be with my wiring, router or some such angst.  Hmm done those already - but after, getting this reply, my WiFi magically came back to full strength with a good speed etc. Coincidence maybe? Let's hope it continues to perform. Anyway, one of the things the guys asked me to do was to try a spare router. Do I need a spare SageCom 2704N in my kit just in case? Quite happy to have one sentSmiley

BertieBassett
Grafter

P.S. - Can someone explain in plain English what "Interleaving" is, in relation to line stability and speed. Thanks.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

If the broadband and internet lights on your router stay green (it's normal for the internet light to flash on and off when sending/receiving data) your connection is probably OK.

The 2704n only has one Wi-Fi channel, so you don't need to worry about that, but as @Gel has mentioned in Message 2 it's possible the Wi-Fi channel you are using has become congested at certain times and you would fare better changing it to 1, 6 or 11 by logging into the router via your browser.

Interleaving is a means of increasing the stability of connections which are experiencing more electrical noise than is ideal - it causes a slight decrease in speed but doesn't directly influence the Wi-Fi side of things.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Fix

If you really want to know ... http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm ... this site is a good source for everything related to broadband.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BertieBassett
Grafter

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I'm learning a few things here!Smiley

BertieBassett
Grafter

A postscript on my issue. Since my last post a couple of days ago Plus-net have contacted me twice. Once by text once by E -mail to update me on progress. They have been monitoring the line since the "layering" message and are happy with the speed/connection now. As it happens, I am too! Good service and communication, which always surprises my cynical self in these days of magnets and miracles. Thanks guys.

Ge03rge
Hooked

Same happened to me 6 times in one month. Have an engineer coming out to check my equipment. Told this is a common fault and it will cost 65 pounds to fix. Again, using all the equipment sent and it still does it. I have requested a refund for the loss of service and have been given one month free so far, having placed several complaints. I suggest you call each and every time it happens and get another free month, till they fix it.