Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi drop outs

FIXED
Kent_Rick
Hooked

WiFi drop outs

Hi,
My WiFi has recently started to drop out regularly on the 5mhz link. The 2 and the hard wired connection don't appear to be affected so I doubt it's the ADSL link itself. The problem first appeared on the smart TVs on streaming apps like prime and Netflix. However I'm now seeing it on extenders that can't reconnect to the router?
The router was upgraded last year when I went to unlimited fibre.
Has anyone had similar experiences?
Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: WiFi drop outs

Hi @Kent_Rick and welcome to the forums

We, as in customers, are starting to witness this ourselves. Plusnet are looking into this.

The current one (assuming you're using a Hub One)  is 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 and Plusnet are currently in the process of sending out the latest one, 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, which is due to be completed by the second week of this month.

Having said that, some using the latest software version are also starting to report issues.

I know the above won't solve it, imho this could be an issue for a while....?

I'm currently on the version ending .259 and have been having issues myself. For unrelated matters my BB is down atm and I'm actually tethered to my mobile - oddly, these forums are now loading fine....!!

Kent_Rick
Hooked

Hi DS
Thanks for the update, you are correct I do have a Hub One - should have said sorry.
I didn't think I was the only one but it doesn't hurt to ask for confirmation. It's somewhat annoying to have a 30+Mbps line to be told "Insufficient bandwidth". Like you I have on occasion tethered to my mobile to access the internet.
Obviously time to sort out the attic for all the ethernet cables I know are up there. It's a backward step but if it works it'll be less frustrating. Also configure the extender as an AP instead perhaps.
Take care and thanks
Rick
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for the update, you are correct I do have a Hub One - should have said sorry.

Hey, no need to apologise, it's an easy enough think to overlook - do it too many times myself!!

but it doesn't hurt to ask for confirmation

There's nowt wrong in checking you're not going bonkers Grin

It's somewhat annoying to have a 30+Mbps line to be told "Insufficient bandwidth"

30!!, if only - but had the same message from time to time Sad

Obviously time to sort out the attic for all the ethernet cables I know are up there

Beat you to it!!

It's a backward step but if it works it'll be less frustrating.

Oh, believe me, I hear you!!

Take care and thanks

No probs, you too - that's why I'm currently lurking on the forums .... try and hinder help my fellow customers Wink

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Fix

Hi @Kent_Rick

As you mentioned above, thanks @DS! , try the connection with an Ethernet cable. If everything seems fine then try the wireless troubleshooting guides found here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/#wifi-help

Also it may also be worth de-syncing the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connection frequencies by changing the SSID for one of them so your devices doesn't automatically try switching between these.

More information on de-syncing the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connection frequencies can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

Let us know how you get on - Matt L

Kent_Rick
Hooked

The TV has been on a cable for a while as I always have a couple around. It's the long ones I need to search for ☹️
It's strange how not that long ago cable was the normal way and nobody thought anything of it. I had miles of it laid when I was in IT, designed cable closets etc. Now I think it's bad to have a couple of cables in the house!
Kent_Rick
Hooked

Hi Matt,
Many thanks for the information.
I will give those options a try and update you.
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

No problem @Kent_Rick.  Keep us posted Smiley - Matt L

DS
Seasoned Champion

I've read this all again, sat and pondered for a while and.....

Are the TVs connected via WiFi as you wrote

the hard wired connection don't appear to be affected

The problem first appeared on the smart TVs on streaming apps like prime and Netflix.

Or are these TVs connecting via Ethernet

Also

However I'm now seeing it on extenders

Are these WiFi extenders or Poweline Adapters (PLA's) - do these connect the TV(s) to the router?

The TV has been on a cable for a while

Just so I picture your setup, is one TV cabled and the other Ethernet (as initially you mentioned TVs and now TV)?

(I need to sort some stuff out that I couldn't do earlier (had Openreach visit this morning) so will be away from here for a short(ish) while, though I'll be back ;))

Kent_Rick
Hooked

Hi Matt

This fixed most of my problems thank you. The range extender still has the odd issue but the main problem has gone . I'll spend some time on the extender this weekend

Thanks again

Rick