cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi cuts out

Margaretclarke

WiFi cuts out

Afternoon

I have been a customer only couple of weeks and my broardband is always cutting out!

I checked my I.p that says DSL Down. It comes back every 10 minutes but 10 minutes 4 times a hour is just to much.

Love streaming tv basically impossible.

Refusing to sit on my home phone over 1hr to talk to a human!
4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: WiFi cuts out

Margaretclarke

I have done that step by steps the other day still happening
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @Margaretclarke,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Sorry to hear you are having difficulty.

First I think it is important to be very clear about the nature of your problem and to be careful about the words used.  Some people mistakenly call the whole of their internet service their "Wi-Fi" and say that their "Wi-Fi" is down when in fact their connection to the exchange is down, which is where most connectivity issues occur.

So that you can be offered the right advice it is important that the difference be discerned.

• Wi-Fi is what connects you computer / phone / tablet devices to the router without wires
  • Devices can be connected to the router using Ethernet cables, thereby totally avoiding the use of Wi-Fi
  • The router connects to the exchange over xDSL when the router is in synch with the exchange
  • The router connects to internet services over something called a PPP session using the Plusnet account details

Any one of the above being faulty will result in any device not being able to connect to the internet, however devices connected to the router using a wire (Ethernet cable) will still work even if there is a problem with Wi-Fi.

Do you have devices connected by Ethernet cable?  Do they still work when your Wi-Fi devices do not?  If they do then this is a Wi-Fi issue; if they too do not work, then this is NOT a WiFi issue.

I suggest that we treat this a not a Wi-Fi issue first as there is a lot you can do to check things out yourself.  Take a look at the speed issue thread linked to below.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

It looks like things have stabilised in the past 3 days.

As a result of the drops in your connection, the line has become banded which essentially means that the software in the exchange has slowed the speed down in order to try to cope with the drops.

I've reset the settings on your line now so you should see faster speeds soon.

Can you let us know how it goes in about an hour's time?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet