cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Range

valart
Grafter

WiFi Range

I was using my tablet outside in my garden this is about 30 ft from my router this is the first I have done this and I was surprised about this,I understand that it could reach up to 300 ft is this right.
3 REPLIES 3
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: WiFi Range

Possibly, given favourable router placement - eg near a window. Also bear in mind that routers tend to vary somewhat between models.
The 300 ft figure maybe you've recollected from the oft quoted distance for cordless phones - under ideal conditions.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: valart
I understand that it could reach up to 300 ft is this right.

In idea situations they might - that is where there is clear line of sight and there are no other stations.  However in the typical residential location, things are far from ideal.  Most homes have at least one wifi station if not more.  Such multiple transmitters make wifi operation at distances from the base station challenging.
Does your garden have a shed with a power socket in it connected to the house power supply?  If yes, you might find one of these useful - http://www.devolo.com/uk?gclid=CjwKEAjw5disBRCA5r7OjsK_-UgSJAC27JPgOa13Mz2aOrW3V4I2v6v_VG-7Q9K1XxyS8...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sjptd
Grafter

If you are interested there is are programs that show how the wifi is behaving.
For example, WiFi Analyzer on Android, and a Acrylic Wifi on Windows.  There are many others, including I am sure some that run on Apple machines.
They can be very useful for choosing the best channel, for finding deadspots, and best router placement/orientation if you really want to work in a deadspot..
Sometimes very small changes to router or device position/orientation can make a surprisingly big difference to whether you can connect and how fast and reliably.