cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Analyzer

shure
Grafter

WiFi Analyzer

Have been experiencing a few issues with my ADSL consistency lately (which is covered on another thread) and as part of my investigations I also wanted to check my wireless strength to ensure I'm eking every last bit of my 20CN BB speed.  I'm using WiFi Analyzer on my Android Galaxy S4 as it appears to be recommended by some, but I'm getting a strange result which I'm hoping people on here might be able to help with.
Basically, I'm trying to check the signal strength for each channel to determine the best.  Until now I've had it set on Auto but thought I'd have a play.  I live in a small village that 21CN forgot and am lucky enough to have only one other AP within range of me (which is currently using Channel 1).  Now, when I go to the Channel Rating tab and look at my 5G performance, everything looks good.  I'm on Channel 48 and it's coming up as the best channel with multiple stars.
But when I go to look at the 2.4G channels something strange happens.  It's showing the channel I'm on as the worst channel (1-2 stars), with a little warning triangle, and recommends others.  So I go into my ASUS RT-N66u settings and fix the channel to one of the recommended ones (e.g. 11).  But then the WA shows 11 as the worst performer (again, 1-2 stars) and recommends I try another.  So I do so, and once again end up with the same result.  Basically, every channel I choose on 2.4Ghz ends up being the one that WA tells me to get off.
The only other WiFi settings I have fixed on the RT-N66u are to instruct it to use n only (not b/g) and fix the bandwidth  at 40Mhz for both 5G and 2.4Ghz.  I've also ticked the box to optimise for Xbox.  Oh, and I also have a 2.4Ghz Guest network which seems to be hitched to the normal one - might this be a cause?
Scratching head...
3 REPLIES 3
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: WiFi Analyzer

I have a TG582n so only have the 2.4GHz channels to 'worry' about, and there are many users round here.
The Wifi analyser app does tend to recommend changes which on implementing them appear to be a bad choice, but I've also found that my local wifi activity is very variable. Obviously you don't want to be changing channels to suit different days/times of day - what I did was choose the channel which is less busy for most of the time over a period of a week, and just stick with that. It's not the perfect solution, and may need to be reviewed in time, but that's Wifi for you!
Can't help you with the other questions you have raised.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I have exactly the same issue with wifi analyser. My theory is that its found someone very close using that very channel. What it fails to note is that it's you!
Use the graph (option 1) to see what / who else it can find and make your own decision.
Let's be careful out there !
shure
Grafter

Thanks.  Yes, I'm guessing that my Guest network might be fooling it into thinking there's competition.  Since all channels apart from 1 are free I suppose I'll just leave it in Auto