cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi

grendo

Wi Fi

If this sounds like a stupid question then apologies in advance...
I seem to be unable to connect to Netflix for the second time this week via my television. It has been working perfectly but the wi fi indicator on the Technicolour router is flashing almost continuously as are some of the other lights on it. The diagnosis on the TV says there is no Wi Fi connection.
It is a distance of app 10 mts to the TV and like I say it has been fine....would a booster be the solution to this problem?
9 REPLIES 9
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Wi Fi

Quote from: grendo

It is a distance of app 10 mts to the TV and like I say it has been fine....would a booster be the solution to this problem?

I'm guessing that is also through a wall, so you may be getting to the limit of the wifi range. Especially so if you've got other strong wifi signals on the same or adjacent channels.
My choice would be to avoid wifi and use a pair of homeplugs.
eg this sort of thing:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA210KIT-AV200-Powerline-Starter/dp/B00D88HMZC/ref=pd_sim_compute...
Joshc
Grafter

Hey,
Good morning.
@grendo
This does indeed look to me like a WIFI problem
npr is spot on with his advise try to stay clear of WIFI and use something along the lines that npr has suggested!
If the problem persists please contact me!
Thanks
grendo

Thanks very much for the replies...much appreciated.
How, physically do the homeplugs connect?
i.e.. do they have a cable connecting to the router?
If that is the case I guess they don't come supplied with a 10mt cable and I don't want a length of cable on the floor...
Joshc
Grafter

Hey,
Yes they do.
So am I right in thinking that the nearest power supply plug is 10 meters away from your router?
If so I may have another idea.
Smiley
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Hi Grendo,
Homeplug adapters carry the ethernet signal between the units over the mains power wiring.  Many different suppliers and within that a number of options for how to best interconnect, depending on your needs.
I've been using them for a long time (5+ years) in a variety of installations and they work well.  I have a preference for the Solwise units though I have used other makes.
One good thing about the Solwise site is the clear technical info / tutorials they provide for both novice and more experienced Users.
As a first pass go to Solwise  and look at the "What is Homeplug?" video to help you determine a solution.  Then look at the products.  In the home environment the units with integral mains socket help minimise the number of 'dangling' wires.
If you have any other queries come back for additional help.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grendo

Thanks again...I am obviously speaking to people who know what they are talking about.
Joshua, the nearest available "free" socket is app 4 mts from the router.
Is it an ethernet type cable?
Joshc
Grafter

Exactly It would mean plugging one homeplug into a socket  where your router is and a Ethernet cable to connect the two than another where your device is using a Ethernet cable to connect the two and as MauriceC said it would use the socket internal wiring to send the signals a cross to the device.
However did you mention that your router is going a bit crazy!?!?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: grendo
the nearest available "free" socket is app 4 mts from the router.
Is it an ethernet type cable?

Is the mains socket used by your router any closer?
If so you could use a homeplug with a passthrough mains socket.
eg something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA451KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00D8BGLMY/ref=pd_cp_ce_2/2...
The router could be plugged in to the mains pass through socket and a ethernet cable run from the router to the home plug. Same again at the TV end, tv in to the mains pass through socket and ethernet cable between tv and homeplug.
grendo

Thanks everyone...going to go with the Solwise product and see what happens.
Joshua,the lights on the router are flashing a lot even with NO PC activity...Only noticed this re the lack of Netfilx. The router is in a seperate room and not in my line of sight usually.