Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi speeds

sonoffred
Hooked

Wi Fi speeds

Hello Community,

My Wi Fi download speeds are only around 0.5 Mbps compared to around 10 Mbps on ethernet (different computers). There is no radio interference as far as I can tell, and I have selected the best router channel using a WiFi analyser. Any advice would be welcome. I attach a record of some recent speedchecks.

18 REPLIES 18
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wi Fi speeds

sonoffred
Hooked

I appear not to have a dual band router, I fear.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Forget the wifi analyser and just try different channels, starting with 1, 6 and 11.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@sonoffred wrote:

Hello Community,

My Wi Fi download speeds are only around 0.5 Mbps compared to around 10 Mbps on ethernet

Wow! Those are slow speeds. Are you sure you haven't made a typing error? Even my incredibly obsolete Win XP desktop hardware reports 100 Mbps on ethernet and my Win 8 laptop reports 65Mbps on WiFi - and I've turned the wireless wick down on the TG582n router.

These are device hardware speeds not throughput. What do your device hardware specs say via Control Panel? Are the adaptors built in devices or based on card peripherals?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Believe that OP is talking about throughput rather than the hardware capabilities. It may be worth trying some of the above suggestions.

Are you using the Hub One that we supplied you? That should be dual band.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Yeah. I realised last night after I posted. That 10Mbps "on Ethernet" threw me. Wink

sonoffred
Hooked

Hi - I am using the router supplied, and I have logged onto the router webpages and changed channels but I don't see a way of altering the 'band'. Any further help would be appreciated, but in 'plain English' if you please as I am not an expert in computer technology!

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

If its the PN Hub One, click on Advanced Settings tab, (in hub manager) then Wireless, then 2.4 tab; deselect that band.

{See screenshot}.

Ensure 5ghz tab has wireless selected (wireless network available).

You also need to check that any wireless devices you have are capable of using the 5 band not just 2.4.

sonoffred
Hooked

Thanks, Gel , for replying but I do not have this option available on my router, the 'Advanced' page of its website is quite unlike that in your screenshot.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

What does the wifi analyser show for the signal strength from your router?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Might as well try setting the Wi-Fi Mode to "802.11 b/g (up to 54Mb/s)".

sonoffred
Hooked

It varies between -35 to -30 dBm. Other wi-fi signals detected are less than -80. Will also try altering the setting suggested in your later post.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@sonoffred

It starts to smell of a PC WiFi driver issue.

Do you have anything else to do a speedtest on WiFi with (iPad, Android tablet etc.) ?

I am the satisfied customer....
sonoffred
Hooked

Thanks, markhawkin.

I have tried a speedtest on my mobile phone, and it too reported speeds of 10Mbps and over. So it seems that it is an issue with my laptop and not the service. Quite why this should be so is a puzzle to me as the machine performed very satisfactorily on Sky, my previous ISP.

I guess I must consider the problem 'solved', and talk to my tame service man.