cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi Streaming ~ How to Improve?

peterbarker
Grafter

Wi Fi Streaming ~ How to Improve?

I am on Plusnet Fibre, using the router supplied by Plusnet Fibre Broadband; i.e. Netgear WNR 1000 V3 
My PC is a different room from the router.
I stream media wirelessly within my house using Windows Media Player and via the router, but occasionally streaming stalls and can be difficult to restart.  I wonder whether this is because my WiFi signal is attenuated by the internal walls or interference from other WiFi in my neighbourhood.  I have done what I can to ensure that my WiFi signal is maximised according to Plusnet Support Pages and have even tried a range extender.
I have looked at the other nearby WiFi signals, using inSSIDer or Meraki.  Most of the time my WiFi is a lot stronger within my premises than other nearby signals.  However, there are times when they suddenly peak and for brief periods appear stronger than my own.  However, I have been unable to definitely link breaks in my streaming to when these other signals peak.  Usually inSSIDer shows my PC to router signal between -50 to -60 dBm amplitude.  According to Meraki it is about 90%.  I don't whether these measurements indicate a strong signal?
However, I see that Netgear produce other routers which appear to offer better performance that the WNR 1000 V3.  Would it be a possibility for me to invest in a more powerful router to give me more reliable WiFI.
Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Wi Fi Streaming ~ How to Improve?

Have you considered homeplugs like these for example?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Try use a different wifi channel to the ones your neighbours are using, inssider shows you which they are on
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
peterbarker
Grafter

Thanks for suggestions.
Channel 6 seems to be the most popular one around here.  I have tried using empty channels but not 100% successful results.  Since then I have managed to improve my signal a bit, but maybe Power Line Transmission as suggested, would resolve the issue completely?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Either use the plugs or invest in a decent router with a 5Ghz channel as well as the 2.4 Ghz on your PN router. My ASUS RT-N56U has vastly improved my wireless experience.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Channels 6 or 11 tend to be the best, however I'd advise using inSSIDer to find the best one: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
peterbarker
Grafter

Thank you for advice and comments about my WiFi streaming problem.  I have been using inSSIDer and Meraki, to monitor local activity.  I have tried switching channels.  Unfortunately, although my WiFi streaming from Windows Media Player to my Panasonic Blu-Ray Player runs very well most of the time, it is still "stalls" from time to time, particularly during the evenings.  By "stalling" I mean stops altogether, not just a bit of buffering.  Can be restarted only by a reboot of the streaming PC.
I have tried a Netgear WR3500RP Extender, but with indifferent results.  I think that my home is the wrong layout to get much benefit from an extender.
So I am focussing on a new router: ASUS RT-66NU, often discussed in these forums.  I have also thought about a Netgear N900, because my Plusnet fibre is currrently delivered through a Netgear N150 (supplied by Plusnet).
I wonder if anyone has an opinion regarding which is best between these routers?