cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the discrepancy between Plusnet Fibre and BT Infinity?

adityarajivUK

Why the discrepancy between Plusnet Fibre and BT Infinity?

Hi
I recently went in for Plusnet Fibre for my new place. The installation date provided to me was the 12th of November and I was told there was nothing available sooner.
However, just out of curiosity, I went to the BT website while I was one the phone and checked out what date I could have gotten had I gone in for Infinity. This is what I got:

Almost a difference of 1 week.
I pointed the same out to the advisor who placed the order, since I was under the impression that:
1.It's Openreach who does the installation so everyone gets the same date
2. Broadband providers are not allowed to do this anyway and
3. Plusnet & BT are kind of the same entity
The advisor did say that he'd let the provisioning team know as he checked the dates from BT himself and would try and get me an earlier date but didn't sound too sure. Would someone from Plusnet tell me why this happened in the first place and is there anyway I can get an earlier installation date, which does seem to be available. I work from home mainly and a difference of a week does matter quite a lot to me.
Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Why the discrepancy between Plusnet Fibre and BT Infinity?

Hi there,
Welcome to Plusnet and our community forums.
The same date is given to ISP's from Openreach, it look's like we'd have been able to give an earlier date once we processed the order.
We've updated your ticket with a couple of questions if you're able to answer them, you can view this here.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I would like to see plusnet order status vis member account as I used to be with icuk before as they show excellent control panel with the order status update (real-live)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We have an order tracker in the member's centre if there's an order going through?
adityarajivUK

Hi
Now I'm being told that since my property does not have an active line, a new one needs to be installed. Even though the property has a line with the BTO socket and the fact that the previous owner left behind his dsl modem only confirms the fact that there definitely was broadband available at my address.The ony thing missing is a dial tone. I really don't understand what's happening. First I was given a date of 12th November and now it's going to be the 27th of November. Seems I'm just being yanked around and this is really not what I expected of Plusnet when I first placed my order. The fact that you still don't have my address right does not fill me with any confidence.
So please take a look at my ticket and amend the address. Come installation time, I don't want anything to go wrong just because my address wasn't correctly entered in the system.
Secondly, can you please get me an earlier date. Waiting for a month just to get phone and broadband access is just too long. Especially since there's a line here already laid out. The only thing missing is the dial tone. If there's any reasonable extra I need to pay to get this done, I don't mind. I'd really love to be with Plusnet especially since I've heard so much about your service. Is there absolutely anything you can do to help resolve this?
Thanks.
AndyH
Grafter

Do you have a date for the phone line to be switched on? Normally they can do this quite quickly if the socket is already there etc.
You obviously need an active phone line for ADSL or FTTC as both services use the telephone line to send the signal down to your modem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suspect the wrong address is a really significant factor here and it is that which is stopping them finding the already installed line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It seems that the last line was ceased and we require a phone engineer for this, the lead times are different to broadband engineers that why the extra wait at the minute.
I've asked our provisioning team to chase this up regarding your address to make that this is correct, if it isn't then that could possible bring things forward.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@PlusnetUK
Have you tried looking up your address using http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput ?
I think that will give the address as BT Wholesale have it recorded. If the address Plusnet have doesn't match that it may cause issues.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adityarajivUK

Quote from: chrispurvey
It seems that the last line was ceased and we require a phone engineer for this, the lead times are different to broadband engineers that why the extra wait at the minute.
I've asked our provisioning team to chase this up regarding your address to make that this is correct, if it isn't then that could possible bring things forward.

The problem is my flat is not showing up in BT's system. The flat just beside me is. How this has happened is beyond me. So Plusnet said they will need to do some sort of survey to add the address to the system and then go from there. The advisor I spoke to regarding this said he'd email me within 10 minutes with a date on which everything will go live (phone + fibre) and sounded confident of getting me a date two weeks from yesterday. After getting no email from plusnet for the next 7 hours, I called up and another advisor didn't even know what I was talking about and just took a payment of £49.99 for a new line and gave me a date for the 27th  Huh
The fact that my address did not exist in the system was bugging me, so I checked all the providers' address database by trying to place an order with them. No luck with BT but Sky has my exact address in their system which I can select and go ahead with the order. So do Sky use a separate address database?
@Plusnet - I've uploaded a couple of screenshots to the ticket system which is showing my exact address in Sky's database. Maybe that will help?
Please, I just want to get everything setup correctly asap. Using 3G at the moment and it's really slow. There's BT Openzone available but I'll need to pay £39.99 for accessing it for a month  Sad
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've got your screenshots, as I mentioned I've passed this to our provisioning team to chase up and clarify the situation, they'll provide an update as soon as they can.
adityarajivUK

Right. So the address finally showed up and have gotten a install date of 11th for the phone.
Even though an order for fibre has been placed, I don't know what date it will be installed on and calling up hasn't yielded any results.
I really don't know what's taking so long and I certainly don't want a date 7-14 days after my phone is installed, esp since most people get it on the same day  Huh
Also, is there a noticeable difference between 40Mbps and 70Mbps? Just keeping my options open...
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm afraid that while we had placed a simultaneous order the broadband side didn't match up on our supplier's systems and as per your ticket update there's not enough time to place another. Sorry about that, unfortunately now we have to wait until the phone is provided before we can place another broadband order.
With regard to the difference, it depends what you use the connection for - you'll certainly notice the speed difference when downloading large files, but for day to day surfing or streaming there's very little in it.