cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should I stay?

bullfist

Why should I stay?

I'm on the "lowest of the low" - a 2Mbit link (measured as 1.3Mbits - 1.8Mbits) - as we live on the edge of town.  My 12 month introductory deal has just finished, so now reverts to approx £29per month for this basic service.  Naturally I can get a better (introductory) deal elsewhere.  Putting rates up like this at the end of a deal just encourages me to move to a different provider and does nothing to encourage loyalty (just like the insurance companies).  If I ever find a quality service provider, I would be encouraged to move to fibre.
So, why should I stay?
-steve
6 REPLIES 6
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Why should I stay?

This is  almost the same question you asked 3 months ago  and you didnt respond to any of the suggestions.?
or even answer Oldjims direct question of which Exchange are you on.
Advise that and post your router stats and maybe you wont have to move.
If you move to a non  an  LLU provider speeds may be slightly better. Fibre if available should be much better.
If you want to save the hassle of moving find a deal you like with a provider at your exchange and ring PN  and ask if they will match it.
EDIT mis typed!!
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Heres what you should do:
Look at the other options out there, Talk Talk, BT, Virgin whatever is available in your area.
Find out how much these would cost for the duration of the contract, thing to take into account:
Line rental - with and without any saver package
call packages ( ie anytime calls)
1571 costs where applicable
caller Id costs where applicable
Broadband costs over a year
and so on
writ eit all down on a piece of paper, so Plusnet will cost £x over 12 months/18 months, Talk Talk will cost £x over the same period, Bt will cost £x and so on for each provider.
If you are paying more on your current provider then call them and say you will save £XXX over 12/18 moths if you switch and as a result you are thinking of leaving, if plusnet cant beat or match the competion then move.
I note you are paying the higher rate, as mentioned above what is your local exchange?
bullfist

@cedlor  Three months ago I figured I wasn't in a position to move.  I also figure that (almost) all providers will use the same cabinet/exchange equipment so I'm going to get a similar sort of speed from any of them.  If plusnet can tweak their equipment why aren't they already doing it (as I'm paying a premium price for a derisory service).  Also why aren't they being proactive in keeping customers?  Do you work for plusnet?
Have already picked out two alternative providers.
cedlor
Grafter

Maybe you were not in a position to move but I reckon its a bit rude to ask a question in a forum, have people respond and not reply.
Quote from: bullfist
  I also figure that (almost) all providers will use the same cabinet/exchange equipment

Where did you get that idea??  they can have different systems and you can see what facility each exchange has which is why you were asked the question.
  If plusnet can tweak their equipment why aren't they already doing it

They sometimes can improve things but only as far as the quality of the line, distance from the exchange, outside factors, will allow and only if  the problem is flagged up to them.  If you are sticking with ADSL what speeds have the new providers offered, remember it cant be better then the line can provide!    Also if you are going to fibre FTTC the last section from the cabinet (Green box) will be by the same wires you have now so if it is a long length or  even poorer quality aluminium wire the service may be reduced.
  Do you work for plusnet?

HAhahahaha  clearly you have not bothered to read my own 6 month ongoing thread.  - No!
Pint has,in more detail mirrored my suggestion of bargaining (he does not work for PN either)  and has also asked what exchange you are on.
Note I have amended an error in my original post
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Put your phone number into this https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ; what does it say?
As for moving, or getting ready to move provider, try not to use your @plus.com email address too much use either a webmail service ( ie gmail/hotmail etc) or purchase your own domain/email
As for price, go to samknows https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search ; pop your number in. forget about market1/2/3 etc how many, and what LLU providers are available, if you have talk talk listed as LLU they will better plusnets prices ( for market 1/high cost areas) likewise for other LLU providers.
As mentioned before work out who will cost what over a month/year/length of contract, Call your current service provider ( plusnet ) if your current provider will not match of better the competition, and you feel its worth moving then move  keep an eye on when your contract with whatever ISP/phone provider you are with is due to expire ( minimum term ) and repeat the whole process again.
Avoid using ISP based email as this makes moving a little more complicated, shop around.
bullfist

@cedlor  Some vitriol?  Is life in the welsh valleys a bit dull for sheep farmers at this time of the year?  (no it's not a motor oil)