cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why might my router need rebooting?

anotherbob
Grafter

Why might my router need rebooting?

In the last couple of days my network has inexplicably stopped working a few times. (Internet radio stopped, laptop no connection etc.) My router (Netgear DG834G v2) lights were all lit up as normal and after rebooting everything was restored. This has never been necessary before. It is on Channel 11 in g & b mode.
Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
4 REPLIES 4
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Why might my router need rebooting?

Depends on the age and make but I usually manually reboot my router every 3 weeks.  In the past I have had similar to yours, it seems that the router just gets overloaded and eventually it will say all is well but it really needs a reboot if you leave it on 24/7.
So now I don't leave a router longer than 4 weeks without a reboot.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
anotherbob
Grafter

@ Gus...
Thanks for your suggestion. I do leave the router on full-time and I have experienced what you describe. However this time I have had to reboot three times in three days.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Some routers don't work well if you use p2p as they can't handle the demand of the traffic that p2p places on the router.  There is hidden p2p being added in applications for updates/patches, an e.g. of this is flashplayer now has a p2p option.  Steam also has a p2p option to offload patching bandwidth on to you.
So you can be using that feature and not even know it
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
persistability
Grafter

I recently had the same thing ... when BT were upgrading my exchange to "21CN". Went on for some days, but seemed to settle down ... eventually. Anything happening at your exchange?