cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my speed so slow on Gateway Ptn-ag04?

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Why is my speed so slow on Gateway Ptn-ag04?

Whenever I end up on the Ptn gateways, particularly Ptn-ag04, my fibre d/l speed drops by 20-25% & my speed checks are all over the place. This happened overnight & now I'm on Ptw-ag04 everything is back to normal.
Is this a fault with the gateway or something else?
8 REPLIES 8
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Why is my speed so slow on Gateway Ptn-ag04?

Hi tijara33,
Thanks for flagging this up. There aren't any issues that we're aware of at the moment.
If you land on one of those gateway's again, can you let us know and we'll take a look?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Will do Chris.  Smiley
deathtrap
Grafter

Speed was really slow on the New BGN 01 gateway for me tonight and there was a small amount 1-3% of packet loss  last night & a little again tonight just prior to me switching gateway, yet again ( plusnet peak times) no surprises there then eh?
Is it over loaded i wonder,? as it isn't included in the list of gateways on the broadband usage page , none of us customers can say for sure
leader
Grafter

Would be surprised if the new juniper is max out.
Might need its policers tweeking though ?
deathtrap
Grafter

I would be happy if they just aborted traffic management and their extra/copy  IP profile that's always set lower than BT's maybe they should go for the quality over quantity ?
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The new BNG is far from at capacity, not seen anyone else with an issue on it.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
deathtrap
Grafter

@paulmh5  it may not be at capacity, but packet loss  at peak times  since i connected to it, coupled with a 30+% drop in throughput tonight  must be an indication of something that ain't right, because after switching gateways the packet loss stopped and throughput was resumed to normal levels,  or maybe i imagined the whole thing? Roll_eyes tbb graph shows that i didn't though, The BT wholesale end point/Handover link that i was connected to on that gateway perhaps?  there's definitely something not right, and i very much doubt it's my D'side pair to modem
Also there are at least 2 other ping monitors showing a similar amount of packet loss during the peak time window, but as to which gateway they are on  i don't know ,but it's a possibility it's BNG01
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

We've spotted something in PTW (not PTW-BNG01 but may have affected some customers that were connected to that or one of the PTW-AGs) on the network out towards BT and fixed it this afternoon. Would've caused packet loss and/or slower speeds so very much like what you saw.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology