cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my speed half the capable line speed?

mcinnes01

Why is my speed half the capable line speed?

The BT engineer and one of the communications I received from plusnet both said that the line is capable of 80Mb Down and 20Mb. Also I am on the 78Mb package.
Why am I only getting 37Mb?
The cabinet is right next to my house and the BT engineer told me it gets 80Mb and I should get about 76Mb easily.
Why are you throttling the line as it is capable of double the speed and I am getting the speed of your basic fibre package?
Andy
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Why is my speed half the capable line speed?

Maybe you have been provisioned incorrectly.
One of the DC Team may be able to check tomorrow (I say 'may' because they are short staffed this week).
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mcinnes01

Thanks for the quick reply I will give them a call tomorrow, also the broadband issues reported doesn't work, it just says "you cannot submit a broadband issue"?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The last line report we got for your connection showed it was in sync at 50718, so your profile was set by the exchange at 49000. Are you plugged into the master socket (the fibre filtered socket the engineer installed) without using extension cables? Is there any noise on the phone line.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mcinnes01

Just had my profile changed and I am getting just over 40Mb now so a slight improvement but still a little off.
Today 18:31 41338 kbps (5.17MB/s) 8100 kbps (1.01MB/s)
I am plugged in exactly as the BT engineer set it up, master socket with no extensions and  speed testing with the supplied cat5 to my laptop .Do you want me to try something else?
Could the noise filter settings be slowing the speed down on your config? I was with bethere before and I could edit my profile to change these settings in the account settings, is there something similar in the member centre or do you do that for me?
Is it yourselves that set my profile in the exchange or BT?
Cheers,
Andy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The profiling is all automatic, based around sync rates and number of errors on the line. The kit that does this is I believe in the cabinet rather than the exchange, but it's under BTs control not ours - at present we can't reset line profiles etc on Fibre.
I've matched your speeds once more (44400 at present) as the profile had been set to 78000 over the weekend - all that'll do is mean the prioritisation doesn't work on the line, so it's better to have it matching.
spinnerwestside
Grafter

I have the same issues my line can take 80mb easy. I am 50 feet away from my cab i got 78mb at the start for few days now i am stuck at 40mb aswell.