cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my broadband speed suddenly so slow? (1/20th of normal speed)

JimiES
Dabbler

Why is my broadband speed suddenly so slow? (1/20th of normal speed)

The last couple of days my download speed has dropped from somewhere near 5mb/s (which its been at for the last few months since i joined) to 0.2mb/s,
I tried rebooting the router a couple of times and one time it came back up to near 3mb/s but that only lasted a few minutes before coming down again, this suggests to me that there is no problem on my side.
I see that on https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed that I get,
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
0.25 Mb
At the BT speed checker I get 0.19Mbps, where the acceptable range is 0.4 - 2Mbps, My DSL connection  rate is 2.75Mbps (downstream) 0.45 (upstream), and IP profile is 2Mbps
If this current line speed is the problem, why is it so low? and when will it come back up? and can someone do something about it?

32 REPLIES 32
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Why is my broadband speed suddenly so slow? (1/20th of normal speed)

Hi JimiES,
Welcome to the forum. Your sync rate is back up to 5726k but the BT profile is still 2000. I have changed our side to match that, so you'll now see that the current line speed is 2000. Once your line has been stable at the new sync rate your profile should lift to 5500. If you see it go up on a BT speed test give us a nudge and we'll change it on our side for you.
Jojo Smiley
JimiES
Dabbler

Thanks Jojo,
For a while my speed was back at 2000, however this morning it has since gone back to 250, interestingly the upload speed is at 350, which is close to normal.
here are the router stats
Uptime: 0 days, 0:16:42
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,008 / 5,856
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,664
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 7.18
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.5 / 48.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / P
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 10,985
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4

and here is what I get at the bt speedtest
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.1 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.66 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps
which is apparently acceptable for my connection
My line speed at that link i mentioned previously is still 2000 when i last checked.
So I can see that my IP profile is down but why is this the case and is there anything that can be done? 
Thanks in advance
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You have a problem.
The stats you show were from a resync just after 11.00am
I assume that before that the rate was pretty dire.
Do you have an NTE Master socket and, if so, can you plug the router into the test socket behind the removable lower section and leave it there for the next few days and see if the sync speed drops again.
Also when removing the lower section how many wires are connected to it
JimiES
Dabbler

There is no test socket.
What I have does not look like that and there is no removable lower section.
...But I removed the faceplate anyway, I have six wires (3 white with blue, green ,red stripes respectively and a blue, a green and a red wire) going into a circuit board that is a part of the plug.
To clarify what you said,  the was no difference in speed before and after the resync.
I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong; the router stats look ok, from what I remember they look the same as when it was working better last night.  the only difference I've noticed between last night and this morning is the IP profile shown on the BTspeedtester. 

I thought I might add that I have no phone, so can't pick up a handset and test for noise.  And, although I'm renting I believe my place is only a couple of years old, (It's still a empty lot on google maps Smiley )
I also asked my mate who lives in the same building and is also with plusnet, he said he's having no problems but I'll ask again in case he hasn't noticed, (after all I am able to browse the web perfectly normally, if a bit slow, but streaming has become impossible.)
Thanks for your help, appreciate anything more you can give.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm assuming you are on 20CN exchange from the stats you have posted?
You've had a low sync event for one reason or another which has resulted in your profile dropping and this can take 3-5days to recover. Do not disconnect, switch off or reboot the modem/router as this lengthens the time for a profile recovery.
With regards to the wiring, some changes may be appropriate, I'll come back and post about that shortly if you can give some more details about the wiring. Is the socket and wires you've described the only one socket, if not say how many more you have and is this one the one nearest to the BT incoming cable? Is the BT incoming cable and underground feed or an overhead drop wire?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To clarify with respect to the router stats
They may well be the same as last night but between then and this morning at 11.00am you had a low sync event which corrected itself when it resynched at about 11.00am
Note Jojo's post above where the IP profile was 2,000kbps yesterday
JimiES
Dabbler

Alright, I'll hold tight for a couple of days.
With regards to the wiring, there's only one socket in the apartment.  I believe the incoming cable is underground.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi JimiES,
Does the rear of this socket look like one of the Master LJU  sockets here? (with a large yellow capacitor). If not, can you pick out the one that looks the most similar. Can you tell me which colour wires go to which terminal numbers?  - your wiring is not conventional.
JimiES
Dabbler

It doesn't have a capacitor so it must be a secondary one, it's certainly the only socket in the apartment. I've tried to attach a photo
I tried taking your advice and leaving the router alone but this night when i was using the internet it just cut out and wouldn't connect again. i rebooted the router and then went to the pub, 5 hours later it hadn't connected again, managed to  connect to the internet again (its still super slow) manually via the thomson gateway  homepage, (not sure why it couldn't so it itself , its always been able to before). but it definetly seems to me to me that the connection is unstable for whatever reason, why? i don't know? I'll try asking my neighbour if he'll let me use his router for a day on monday.  But I don't quite understand why this would be happening and am sort of leaning away from thinking that the router is the problem, we'll see.
Thanks for your help, I hope this can be sorted out soon.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi again,
well as you say it's not a master, so there must be one somewhere else which you need to find for two reasons
- if it's not located in a secure location someone else can connect to your line, and
- there are unnecessary wires not required in a broadband situation which have to be disconnected at the master not just the extension socket.
The only wires required are the Blue/white trace and White/blue trace connected to terminals 2 & 5 the remaining wires should be removed by gemtly pulling them vertically out of the IDC terminals neatly coiling them out of the way at the back of the box so they don't contact any terminals. The bell wire (terminal 3) is the primary culprit picking up interference although if the master is one of the latest Openreach styles the effect is reduced but it is still better to remove the wires.
Who do you pay line rental to, can you check your recent calls on-line and see if any have been made that aren't yours?
Also can you hear any crackling noises on your line when using the phone?
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: JimiES
There is no test socket.
What I have does not look like that and there is no removable lower section.
...But I removed the faceplate anyway, I have six wires (3 white with blue, green ,red stripes respectively and a blue, a green and a red wire) going into a circuit board that is a part of the plug.
And, although I'm renting I believe my place is only a couple of years old, (It's still a empty lot on google maps Smiley )

I do wonder if the OP has an external NTE master socket, as per the one at the bottom of this page from the kitz site
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm
Anotherone
Champion

The thought had crossed my mind, but that doesn't explain why all 6 wires are connected (except it being installed by someone who didn't really know what they were doing!  I'm hoping he can follow the wire to wherever the master is.
JimiES
Dabbler

Yep, I've got one of those external boxes out the front.  I haven't looked inside it yet.  I'm pretty busy, so might have a look later if you can give me any advice what to look for. From reading that bit about it, if it is tamper proof, I'm guessing there's not a lot I can do in there.
I can pull those wires on the socket inside but there is a few things I'd like to know.
1. Are the extra wires realistically the reason that my connection has become so bad recently? It has been working quite well for the last 5 months.
2.  Why are there six wires at all if only two are supposed to be connected.

I don't have a phone, but I'll see if I can borrow one off someone.  I haven't yet tried a new router but I'm guessing this will be inconclusive at this stage since my IP profile is so low.
Anotherone
Champion

I believe I've already answered your 2nd point in my previous post.
With regard to the first point - possibly. There maybe electrical/electronic equipment that is chucking out interference that wasn't doing so previously (in other words developed some sort of fault that won't necessarily be obvious) or an item recently installed - not necessarily yours - could be a neighbour, not necessarily next door either. Interference can travel some distance. Some Sky boxes are known culprits.
The RHS of the external NTE is customer accessible. If you + the image on the Kitz site you can see only the Blue/white & White/blue wires should be connected - not the Orange. If the Orange/white is connected - remove it. Remove the 4 unneeded wires from the rear of the socket as well. Don't forget what I said about removing wires from IDC terminals, and be careful not to pull on the Blue pair of wires.