cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it so hard just to ask plusnet a question

lespearson

Why is it so hard just to ask plusnet a question

OMG I have been bounced from pillar to post by online support. I don't want to go to frequently asked questions, I dont want to read assistant......ALL I WANNA DO IS REQUEST A STATIC IP ADDRESS....I can't do that in FAQ's, I don't want to read anything.....where is the form to fill out......OMFG......Plusnet user for over 5 years and all you had to do was raise a ticket...job done - the web site just gets worse and worse. Either Increase the FAQ's to cover everything or put the raise a ticket link back in easy view! Roll_eyes
21 REPLIES 21
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Why is it so hard just to ask plusnet a question

I haven't tried it... but:-
Signon-on,
Connection settings,
Control your broadband,
Change IP settings
ought to do it.
You might be asked to justify your request though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

LiamM
Grafter

Nope.  Anyone on Broadband Your Way can switch Dynamic / Static IP off/on anytime via the Member Centre - no justification required.
lingbob
Grafter

That's the way to do it  Grin
You won't be asked to justify your request, it's done automagically but for the change to take effect, you need to disconnect and then re-connect.
Regards .....
paulby
Grafter

You should be able to do it from here. Click on "Change IP Settings".
(Direct link to where axisofevil directed you - if you're not logged in to the Portal you'll need to enter your user name and password after clicking on the link)
VileReynard
Hero

I just made my IP address static - very easy.
Apparently, Plusnet will give you a block of up to 4 static addresses - if you can justify it.
Question:-
For the purposes of email is this a dynamic static IP address or a static static IP address?

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

They will actually give you 4 (2 usable), 8 (6 usable) or on very rare occasions 16 static IPs (14 usable).
There is a RIPE request form on the usertools site for requesting them here
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Most of the products allow you to have a static IP, unfortunately Broadband Plus doesn't.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: lespearson
snip..  I dont want to read assistant......ALL I WANNA DO IS REQUEST A STATIC IP ADDRESS..

If you did want to read up on how our Static IP addresses work and how you might apply for a block of IPs, the Help Assistant has a load of useful information linked from its 'Technical Support' section (click 'more' under that category).
There's a section where you can raise a specific question to our support team if you can't find the answer you are looking for in our online help docs: 'Ask a Question about IP addresses'.  As Chris has said, some products do not have a Static IP address available as an option.  The support page will tell you more;
http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/IP_addresses_broadband.shtml#1

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If your current account does not support fixed IP, do you actually need a fixed IP or would a fixed name that always pointed to your current IP address solve your problem? If so have a look at DynDNS. I'm on the PAYG RIN trial which has dynamic DNS and this service meets my (limited) needs.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
astarsolutions
Grafter

For the purposes of email is this a dynamic static IP address or a static static IP address?

All the IP addresses they give out are dynamic.
VileReynard
Hero

So if I send email to someone who uses the recently defunct  PlusNet DNS lookup feature, would it get rejected?
Would I need to purchase a domain with a true static address to defeat the DNS lookup feature?

astarsolutions
Grafter

You will only have problems if you send e-mail directly via your own mail server (something most people don't do) as your static or dynamically assigned IP addresses comes from a Dialup and ADSL IP Address pool all of which are classed as dynamic.
As the previous poster said Plusnet have white listed them although other ISP's wont have.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: astarsolutions

All the IP addresses they give out are dynamic.

I think this would be clearer if you called them fixed dynamic IP addresses - fixed because for all except BB+ you are allocated a fixed IP address, dynamic because the fixed IP address you are given is taken out of a range of IP numbers which are classed as dynamic.
Quote from: axisofevil
So if I send email to someone who uses the recently defunct  PlusNet DNS lookup feature, would it get rejected?
Would I need to purchase a domain with a true static address to defeat the DNS lookup feature?

No - your mail client should be configured to send mail out via relay.plus.net. This complies with all the rules and mail sent in that manner should be accepted by any ISP or business.
Where people will run in to trouble is if they are running their own server and instead of configuring it to relay via Plusnet's relay.plus.net configure it to send direct. Then other ISPs and businesses should reject the mail. I speak from bitter experience when I first set up a mail server in the office in which I then worked.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

Whilst this doesn't apply to me, if you have a requirement to know that email sent by you has been received by the receipient (and you want logs to prove it) then you will need to run your own outgoing SMTP server. Furthermore, you can't use relay.plus.net.