cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is YouTube Viewing Stalling?

bazzer
Pro

Why is YouTube Viewing Stalling?

All too often I am finding that when attempting to view videos on YouTube they partially load and then stall part of the way through.
At best it can be stop-start but today, for example, I am able to view the initial part of the video and then it stalls.
There is no pre-loading of the video when I pause or during my viewing of the video and inevitability I have to refresh the page which sometimes work but as today has proved it doesn't.
I have a fibre connection and use the latest version of Firefox. All virus, spy and malware software is up-to-date.
Any idea how I can resolve this?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
bazzer
Pro

Re: Why is YouTube Viewing Stalling?

PS
My download speed is shown as 50MB and Upload as 17MB
AndyH
Grafter

Is it particular Youtube videos or everything? Have you tried streaming a lower quality to see if there's a difference?
Can you try another browser?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Some videos on youtube are just badly compressed and since the Google buyout its been a feature of stalling videos
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
bazzer
Pro

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I'll try a different browser and see if that works.
If I reduce the quality settings that seems to negate the purpose of having fibre as it should be able handle to higher levels of traffic.
Cheers
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Gus
Some videos on youtube are just badly compressed and since the Google buyout its been a feature of stalling videos

that's mostly nonsense.
i never had an issue with HD youtube videos, be it 720p or 1080p.
some videos are badly compressed but that is a source issue rather than a youtube issue.