cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Iplayer junk when my speed/ping tests are good?

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Why is Iplayer junk when my speed/ping tests are good?

I have never been very happy with the amount of buffering that goes on sometimes. On occasions its fine even in HD but at other times it buffers frequently even in SD. What might the problem be and what can I do about it? Surely the beeb feed isn't the problem - or is it?
Its doing it now with d/l speeeds of nearly 6k
PT
12 REPLIES 12
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Re: Why is Iplayer junk when my speed/ping tests are good?

IPlayer doesn't like wifi or mid range laptops, do you use either?  I use 2 year old laptop via wifi for offline program watching and get the same issues, but I don't have them on my gaming PC when watching the same programs.
Also there is a know bug with flash player 10.1 and higher with some laptops, which means you have to use an older version.  I have to use 10.0.45.2 to have less issues.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have a similar download speed but have never experienced any problems with BBC iPlayer - I cannot remember an instance of buffering mid-program.  Mostly I use a wired connection to my Netgear router but occasionally over wireless.  I don't use iPlayer a lot (once this week) so I guess I wouldn't know if things have suddenly taken a turn for the worse.
I have seen iPlayer running on other computers and you seem to need something over around 1.5 Mbps download speed to avoid buffering pauses. 
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

I have tried it using wireless and with homeplugs on a variety of devices - PS3, Wii, and Bush Freesat HD box. Even my main PC connected directly to the router does it sometimes. Its only an occasional problem but annoying as it is usually when the wife wants to watch something  Grin I'd just like to try an pinpoint the cause as whenever I test on getting the problem my speeds seem fine. The Wii suffers least but that maybe because its graphics require less bandwidth.
IPlayer HD content is more troubled with the problem but I might expect that.
Youtube, esp HD, to the main PC suffers as well at times but I put that down to youtube itself but maybe I have the problem.
I use a TG585V7
PT
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have you tried http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

yes and not usually any problem. completed just now at 6243 kbps, although no problem streaming at the moment!
dick:quote
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

How anal is that rule  Shocked
might be ok on a relatively quiet forum such as this but on busy ones there is a danger of another post appearing in the time it takes you to compose you own post and it subsequently not being clear who the response is directed at.
PT
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

We do get quite busy on this forum from time to time PhyllisTyne Smiley
Doing a full quote of the previous post isn't necessary and most people find it's not a problem.
What generally happens if a post intervenes they will add @walker23 (for example) at the beginning of their post.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@ Strat, I wholly agree with the 'full quote rule' as some forums get unreadable with ever-expanding responses but surely quoting a 'one line' post in full is within reason and less intrusive than many partial quotes of longer posts?
Lips_are_sealed
Incidentally, this forum is one of the easiest to use, clearest and best moderated of all that I have ever used.
Smiley
@ Phyllis, since the iplayer diagnostics are supposed to diagnose suitability of a connection for actually using the iplayer I can only guess that you are suffering from intermittent slow-down - perhaps a few heavy users sharing the uplink from your exchange (probably not the correct technical term) but I suspect there's a 'bottleneck' somewhere upstream.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I was having a lot of problems with iPlayer in spite of having a 7150 Profile and being on PAYG (equivalent of Pro). HD was totally unusable.
All the problems went away when I got a new PC!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Dear Walker23, post 8, 23.1.11 @ 11.03  Grin
I too think there must be some intermittent problem that stalls the stream for a while but its knowing how to find where it is. I suspect its unlikely to be the beeb and improbable that its some kind of intermittent exchange loading. I think it has to be something to do with PN, my router or the wireless/homeplug feed to the clients.
Cheers PT
thisoldman
Grafter

hello dear phyllis.

a great many d/l sites have their own d/l speeds and restrictions.
you could have a 500mb bb but it wont make any diff to the site.
As far as im aware iplayer resticts d/l speeds at certain times of the day and todate i have been unable to persuade the bbc to tell me what these restricted times are. They simply quote supply and demand.  hope this helps
pierre_pierre
Grafter

re quotes, I get informed with a big red warning if a post has been made since I started typing, whats the problem with that, you can insert the quote then if it happens