cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my upload been capped again ?

PitchBlack
Grafter

Why has my upload been capped again ?

I just did a speed test and it looks like someone has capped my upload.

Up stream noise margin has jumped from a steady 6 for well over 2 years to 27.
                                        Downstream                Upstream
  Data Rate (kbps)               12825                            443
  Noise Margin (dB)                  6.0                            27.2
  Attenuation (dB)                   29.2                           12.9
  Output power(dbm)               20.4                            12.5

Can someone from PN have a look for me
Thanks.
Also when this has happened in the past, interleaving has also been turned on, I don't think it has this time but could you check that as well, Cheers.
7 REPLIES 7
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Why has my upload been capped again ?

I can't see any reason for changes. However, I've ordered the uncapping of the upload which should complete on or by Monday. Interleaving is already off.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
PitchBlack
Grafter

Something is not right, ping is normally around 3 on speedtest and now a 3 Mb/s loss.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Router stats are essential information with these problems.
Data speed tests are erratic and not overly dependable as a diagnostic tool.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PitchBlack
Grafter

A router reboot fixed the speed problems  Smiley
"Did you turn it off and on again"   Cheesy

Downstream Upstream
  Data Rate (kbps)                                         13048           443
  Noise Margin (dB)                                           6.0            28.3
  Attenuation (dB)                                             29.2           12.8
  Output power(dbm)                                        20.4           12.8
Highest my sync has been for about 5 years, probably due to the upload being mysteriously capped.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

US is still capped.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PitchBlack
Grafter

Just waiting with pessimistic anticipation Townman until Monday for the cap to be lifted, this has happened a few times, once when this happened it took over 2 months to get my BB back to normal, U/S was capped, then interleaving was turned on, then nothing could be done because the system was reporting that an open order had to be completed. No one knew why the U/S was capped, no one knew why interleaving was turned back on, and no one knew what the open order was for. So the open order couldn't be actioned which meant nothing could be actioned until the open order cleared itself.
Edit
These are the only stats I can provide as Belkin routers don't give you ant error stats.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: PitchBlack
No one knew why the U/S was capped, no one knew why interleaving was turned back on, and no one knew what the open order was for. So the open order couldn't be actioned which meant nothing could be actioned until the open order cleared itself.

Sadly such is the BTw line management / ordering system.  There can only be one order on a line at a time, so until the previous one completes, nothing else can be requested.
The "line amend" functionality provided to ISPs by BTw apparently requires the whole configuration for the line to be entered, not just the configuration items actually requiring change.  The default settings of some configuration items do not reflect the current settings, amongst which US default is "capped".  Consequentially the "line amend" functionality is highly prone to human oversight (unintentional errors).  Interleaving has (as least as far as I know) three settings - ON / OFF / AUTO - for some reason, requests to turn it off get implemented as AUTO... and if the DLM decides, its can get switched on regardless.
I am sure CRT will have a finger on this soon.