Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the Plusnet IP profile affects speeds so much

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Why does the Plusnet IP profile affects speeds so much

This may seem an odd question but ever since moving to the new unlimited product the Plusnet profile was stuck at 7.15Mb
Yesterday - on the Plusnet site - it dropped to 4.3Mb
Looking at my router log the actual change happened at 1.45 this morning
Now my sync speed is 4896kbps with an IP profile of 4312kbps
So you wouldn't expect much of a change in speed test results but - as can be seen in the attached picture the speeds dropped from about 4230kbps to about 4070kbps
As a secondary question - why did the automatic systems take so long to update the connection after the figure changed on the website (noticed at about 11.50am yesterday)
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Why does the Plusnet IP profile affects speeds so much

Sorry Jim, is the question why has the speed dropped by 160Kbit following the change of the PN profile?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is correct
Also you may not have picked it up but the automatic systems are supposed to update the connection within an hour or so from the information being received from BT but in my case it took well over 12 hours after the website updated
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

the automatic systems are supposed to update the connection within an hour or so from the information being received from BT

The speed change won't be applied until a PPP disconnect/reconnect happens. This should be forced shortly after the change but doesn't seem to always happen.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.